Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Strange charging/tach issue

Greetings! Just bought a 1997 Ram 2500 12v 4x4 auto. I was told the PCM was bad - turns out it was the wrong PCM (for a '99 and also bad). ACS kept my '99 PCM and sent me a refurbished '97 PCM for an auto. My speedometer now works and my tranny shifts as it should (although O/D is not kicking in - might be TPS?). My alternator is not charging, and my tachometer is not working. Below is a list of info I have collected and troubleshooting steps I have made:

• PCM rebuilt by ACS (tranny would not shift out of 1st, speedometer, tach, alternator, a/c not working - now tranny shifts and speedometer works)
  • 7.5a fuse installed in W/BS wire from pin 25 connector C3 
  • Replaced alternator with AC Delco 120a unit from Summit Racing
  • Checked wires on back of alternator - 11.7v on white/blue stripe from PCM, ground on other wire
  • Hot lead from back of alternator shows battery voltage ~12v
  • Launch scanner shows TPS at 17% at idle (TPS is bad/needs recalibration?)
  • Launch scanner shows correct RPM (ESS is good? ESS is the only source of RPM, right?)
  • ASD relay replaced with known good relay
  • Checked all fuses and fusible links in engine compartment fuse box
  • Launch scanner shows P0753 and P1765 codes - both tranny focused, shouldn't be related to charging. 

I am assuming that since my scanner shows RPM while running that the ESS is good. Is there any way to check if it is causing the problem other than replacing it? 

If the alternator is new, turning while the engine is running, and has 11.7v and ground on the two connections on the rear, shouldn't it be outputting 13.5-14v?

20240911_191847.jpg

Fixed the charging - replaced the ESS with a new unit (did you know you can't get these from Chrysler/Dodge anymore?). I originally had the gap set at about .057" and the alternator was "kind of" working. I reached my oversized meathooks in there and adjusted to the required .050" and the alternator is now working like a  champ, but the tach is still not working. My PCM was just rebuilt by ACS. I assume that is not the problem. Any other hot spots to check? I read that fuse #12 in the dash fuse panel controls several gauges, but all of mine work... except the tach. If you've run into this before or even just read about it before please speak up. Thanks!