• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

new to site

The truck seams to have plenty of power when it runs right, this truck actually belongs to a good friend of mine who has ask for some help so im not the normal driver , i'll do my best to explain what it is doing so you can help me figure it out.in the mornings or the first start after setting long enough for the engine to cool down completely it will run but has only enough power to pull itself ,after it warms up it will all of a sudden take off and run to like it should ,it seems to be taking longer for this to happen though ,also it may be running fine and for some reason just die when this happens you have to turn the key back to off then it will restart, it may have power or may not there is nothing consistant except that when its not running right the tach wont work when it is the tach works . occasionally you can step down on the pedal and its like nothing is there you really have to be careful dirving it because when you pull out it might go or might not !!!! I got two codes to come up the first was P0500 the second was P1693 I think i need a scan tool or some other method of reading the codes not sure if im getting all of them the truck does have a perfomance box i believe it is a superchip D box but we took it off until we find the problem there was no change in the symptoms after the box was removed the first code is a speed sensor if the parts counter guy is right, the second is the campanion code which tells me that there is more than one code in there[ I think], but nothing else comes up! not sure what the campanion code is actually supposed to tell ya. Thanks for your help.

• Owner

Hmmm... Sound like a few possible thing could be happening...

Cam or Crank sensor is going out on you... If the tach drops to zero usually the cam or crank sensor is to blame but typically there is a error code.

P1693 means there is a error code in either ECM or PCM or both. That all the code means... But if you using a code reader like a ScanGauge II it should pickup all the codes for you...

As for the lack of power that automatically points to fuel supply problem either the lift pump, VP44, or filter is plugged

Here is how to test your lift pump...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/cumm ... p-daig.htm

Posted Image

You need to keep at least 10 PSI at the VP44 to keep it happy...

As for the previous APPS post well that would have a P0121, P0122, or P0123 error code pointing to failed APPS...

i've just got started with this thing and have not put a code reader on it myself yet that is all you get when you turn the key .im not sure why it runs so good at times and ten miles down the road it screws up and in the same trip go back to running like it should its really intermitent . the next time im with the truck ill put a reader on it , and im going to suggest that he get a feul pressure guage on it so the lift pump can be monitored constantly p.s this is really an awesome site glad i found it :thumbsup

• Owner

Well without much for information...

Bad ground, weak batteries, weak charging system... (Possiblity)

Loose or corroded wiring...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/cumm ... ircuit.htm

(This will work anywhere in the electrical system for testing weak connections or bad wires!)

Heat effecting the electronics (VP44 or ECM) but error codes typically point this out.

Fuel pump problems...

Posted Image

Posted Image

No the little white plastic hub isn't suppose to come out... It's glued in at the factory but most of the fuel additives tend to break down the glue and the plastic hub starts to spin inside the hub so you hear the pump buzz but it doing nothing. This can happen randomly too..

Thanks for taking time out for all my questions, when i have better info on the codes, and after reading up on your recomendations ill do some further testing before i contact you, once again thanks for the great information i can see that there are many possibilites and now i need some time under the hood

• 2 weeks later...

put a code reader on it got four codes P0216, P0341, P1689, P1690 I think that is a good indication that he is probably going to need a pump and a cam shaft sensor Looking for advice ,what to do next

• Owner

OUCH... 8|

put a code reader on it got four codes P0216, P0341, P1689, P1690

Here is the error code book... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/pdf/error-codes.pdf P0216 - Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure High fuel supply restriction, low fuel pressure or possible wrong or incorrectly installed pump keyway. P0341 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Signal Problem with voltage signal from CMP. P1689 - No Communication Between ECM and Injection Pump Module Data link circuit failure between ECM and fuel injection pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops. P1690 - Fuel Injection Pump CKP Sensor Does Not Agree With ECM CKP Sensor Problem in fuel sync signal. Possible injection pump timing problem. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops. Well you got a dead or dieing VP44 and Cam sensor which is below the VP44. P0216 and P1689 are death codes for the VP44... P0341 is a failure code for the cam sensor... And the P1690 usually follows because of lack of timing... Now we know what has failed... But why did it fail? How is you fuel pressure? But we know the answer there too... The lift pump is possilbe dead or dieinig too... This is the exact reason why a fuel pressure gauge is high recommended!

Mike is dead on on the info, the erratic behavior suggests that it is the ground - lift pump, PCM or connecting wiring corrosion. A fuel pressure gauge is next or a full check on the wiring.If you were in most shops the diag would be IP and lift pump and they may not even fix the ground problem so it would be back next year.That it still runs well sometimes is the indicator that the codes are pointing at the result of corrosion instead of wear or part failure. The lift pump cools the IP as well as luberication and removing wear particals.good luck with this onekeydl

• 2 weeks later...

The truck seams to have plenty of power when it runs right, this truck actually belongs to a good friend of mine who has ask for some help so im not the normal driver , i'll do my best to explain what it is doing so you can help me figure it out.in the mornings or the first start after setting long enough for the engine to cool down completely it will run but has only enough power to pull itself ,after it warms up it will all of a sudden take off and run to like it should ,it seems to be taking longer for this to happen though ,also it may be running fine and for some reason just die when this happens you have to turn the key back to off then it will restart, it may have power or may not there is nothing consistant except that when its not running right the tach wont work when it is the tach works . occasionally you can step down on the pedal and its like nothing is there you really have to be careful dirving it because when you pull out it might go or might not !!!! I got two codes to come up the first was P0500 the second was P1693 I think i need a scan tool or some other method of reading the codes not sure if im getting all of them the truck does have a perfomance box i believe it is a superchip D box but we took it off until we find the problem there was no change in the symptoms after the box was removed the first code is a speed sensor if the parts counter guy is right, the second is the campanion code which tells me that there is more than one code in there[ I think], but nothing else comes up! not sure what the campanion code is actually supposed to tell ya. Thanks for your help.

I have the same 1693 code only and my engine cut on me like a speed limiter. It mostly happen between 1800RPM 2000rpm. If I lift back to 1500 and press again everything is alright until the next time. Anyone have idea

• Owner

Fixed your post for ya... LOL But anytime you see just the P1693 error code... It MEANS to dig deeper... There is more error codes present. There is NO WAY to have just a P1693 error code by itself... Sometime you got to go barrow a Scan Tool like a ScanGauge II or similar... So there is another error code that you missed... :confused: