• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1997 exhaust question

Hi, I have a 97 4x4 club cab, 5 speed. I found a "cat back" 4" exhaust on Craigslist for $50.00. I'm trying to determine if the stock downpipe is worth the cost to replace (seems it's about 75-125) also. I believe it's 3.5" from the turbo down to the bend under the passenger seat (correct?). The truck is stock (and will stay stock) except for BHAF. I'm looking to make the motor exhale better, but not sure that the difference in the downpipe will be worth the cost. I occasionally haul a trailer (4.5 to 9 k) but the motor never gets hot, nor do I push it. What do you think? I'm also making the "cat " either go away or be just a hollow shell. I would appreciate input please....Thanks,paul

• 9 months later...

I bought a SS e-bay system... turbo back... the lesser grade of SS. The "muffler" is straight through with just some louvers cut in so no hassle with inspection. I am not sorry at all. Even though I do not intend to mod the truck, hopefully this will not rust out like the stock system. The truck was never quiet but is a bit louder under power. I picked up slightly on mpg. Russ