• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cruise intermittantly will not disengage when cluch pedal depressed

I don't believe any 2nd gen has a switch on the clutch to indicate the start of travel, only the end of travel. That is certainly the case on my '97. Cruise disengages with the RPM flare of a disengaged clutch only. I was expecting to have to wire a clutch safely in after my transmission swap, but it makes no difference to any truck systems which position that switch is in aside from cranking the starter. It does not affect cruise in any way, and there was no switch other than the ring type housing around the clutch plunger.more (any?) details on your truck may be helpful if things are different in late 2nd gens, but I don't believe they are. No firsthand experience on 98+ systems though.

• Owner

According what I've been told that switch controls the solenoid for the starter as well as send the cancel signal to the PCM.

From Dodge FSM

The speed control can be disengaged manually by:

[*]Stepping on the brake pedal

[*]Depressing the OFF switch

[*]Depressing the CANCEL switch.

[*]Depressing the clutch pedal

deactivation from "depressing the clutch pedal" has to be from RPM flare. The wiring diagram for '97 has my back on this one, as does my experience with a rewired clutch safety. Wiring diagram shows the trigger power for the solenoid going directly through the clutch safety from the ignition switch, and no other contacts in the switch and no other involvement in that circuit. Only the starter knows when the clutch switch is actuated (no ECM involvement).

I'd assume that's true on at least 94-97, and I'd bet a small sum it's true on 98-03 as well.