• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transmission Troubles on 2001 Dodge Cummins

I pulled my 28' 5th wheel to the U.P. for a week of camping. Everything was seemingly fine until someone in front of me, about 5 miles before the campgrounds, stopped to turn left on the 2 lane highway. When I took off after they turned, my truck was shifting funny. It didnt want to go from 3rd gear to 4th. I had to feather the throttle to get it to shift.I pulled my buddy's boat around all weekend without any issues. Came home yesterday from a 3 hour drive hauling our 5th wheel and going down the highway, it pulls fine without any issues. As soon as I turned off the highway to get to my house, once again the same shifting issue. I did notice that where my exhaust goes around the rear axle, a hole in the top of the exhaust. Was planning on replacing my exhaust anyways, but when I got to the campgrounds, I noticed my exhaust pipe broke off from the rear of the muffler. Would that heat up the under carriage of my truck, or mess with the back pressure enough to cause my truck to do this?I had my tranny fluid and filter changed at the dealership about 8,000 miles ago. My truck is a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad cab short box Cummins with 83,000 miles on it now. The fluid does not smell burnt nor did I ever smell any sort of hot tranmission smell at the campgrounds or at my house when I got home.I have read online something as simple as my battery connections not grounding the tranny. I dont think (hoping) it is a mechanical issue, I am guessing a sensor or grounding issue. No dummy lights came on my dash at anytime i was having shifting issues. Does the 2001 allow the use of code reading for the tranny? Everything I read shows a TPS sensor, but at a couple hundred bucks, I dont want to be buying parts to replace just for the sake of hunting and pecking. I have read you can clean the TPS sensor also, is this true? I have no codes come up on my truck, but can a code reader fine this? The problem is when I bring it in, it does not do it until the truck is really working. At least for now, just driving around does not do it.Anyone have an idea of what it could be???

• 5 months later...