• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

tranfer case slipping into nuetral

Fill out your signature with your truck info to help us help you faster. Click on settings at the top of your screen and scroll down on the left side you'll see the edit signature link. As for the issue you are having need a little more details. Stick or automatic? Were you just coasting or on and off the throttle? Bumpy road?

My truck is an 02 with a 5 speed i pull my 28 ft 5th wheel with it. While decending down a hill at cruising speed it jumped from 2 hi into nuetral. Did this to me twice and then i started holding it while going down hills. It did not act like it was pushing on my hand any i was able to maintain 2 hi just by holding a little pressure with 2 fingers. I have pulled all kinds of things and never had this happen before. Why all of a sudden would the transfer case want to jump to nuetral while coasting down a hill with a load behind me.

The transfer case has a poppet, a.k.a detent, to keep it from jumping out of gear. Could be a weak or broken spring, or worn poppet or even the plug that keeps them in place could have come loose. I doubt the plug coming loose would be it since it just suddenly happened.

• Like 1

Much more likely the shift fork is worn. My buddy's '02 had identical issues, needed a shift fork and collar. The pads wear and fall off, then the ATF doesn't have enough lube to let metal-on-metal live for too long. Once the fork and collar wear enough it gets sloppy, and in no-load situations it can slip out.It'll get worse pretty quickly. My buddy ran home from VA with a bungee cord on the shifter but it wouldn't stay in all the time - the bungee let it slam back in on its own though!Was only about $50-80 in parts from the dealer, as I recall. The other good news is that aside from snap rings being annoying, these transfer cases are really dead simple to tear down and reassemble.

• Like 1