• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone ever do a tensioner install on a 3.9L Magnum?

I have a 3.9l Magnum in my 1994 Dakota Sport that has always sounded somewhat like a diesel. It has a characteristic pop from the exhaust here and there at random but only during shifting. The rattling up front really had me worried since it sounds low in the chassis and I was afraid the bottom end was going, not to mention the truck began losing power like crazy over the last year (can't hold highway speed.) Using a piece of wood as a stethoscope I narrowed it down to the timing chain. So armed with that information I went to trusty google to look for cheaper sources for parts only to find service bulletins about the timing set. It turns out there is too much slack in the factory timing set so Dodge came out with a tensioner to fix the problem. I have a part number here somewhere I will have to find it. Has anyone done one of these it looks somewhat involved, I am not finding much in terms of a how-to with pictures or anything.

Well I decided to take a video of it before it gets fixed.[ame]

[/ame]I have really maintained this truck and would hate for the chain to break damaging anything else. Seriously this little truck runs circles around full-size trucks in the snow.