• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey everyone I was wanting some info on the gear splitters? I know it gives you an over gear just like the big boys. my confusion is who makes them? are they available for 4x4 applications? can they stand up to the torque? Are they actually worth the money? thanks in advance for all the info BTW this forum is 10 x's simpler than the others

You are talking about the Gear vendors OD/Underdrive units. They are built extremely stout but you only have use of it in 2wd as they mount on the back of the t-case. I know of one locally on a 650hp cummins that sled pulls and it has held up flawlessly for years already. I have personally installed 2 or 3 over the years and if you are on the open road a lot they will pay for themselves over time but for a daily driver I wouldn't waste your money. They are spendy and it would take a few years of general daily driving to recoupe the price.:2cents:

I see i pull a trailer from where I live on about 600 mile trips generally 18 times a year. trailer weighs in at right about 20k or 22k every time. it would come in handy for my 3-4 and then id have a 4+ but the only thing is when im empty I spend a good amount of time off-road for many reasons i just cannot sacrifice my 4x4. Are their any other options for me? maybe a 4x4 unit?? The gear vendors is exactly what i am looking for but i have to have some form of 4x4

I had one of the gearvendor over/under drive unit on a 1 ton Ford van (auto) with the diesel engine. I didn't have any problems with it and I used it for almost 6 years then I sold it to buy my pickup. The final drive ration was .78. So that means your double overdrive rpm would be 22% lower rpm than whateveer rpm you see when your in 5th gear on your current rig. Another way to calculate is multiply your current rpm by .78 to get the actual rpm in double overdrive. (i.e. 1500rpm x .78 reduction ~ 1170rpm) http://www.gearvendors.com/4x4dfacts.html