• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cig lighter outlet removal

I picked up another 12V power outlet in the yard and want to replace my cig lighter with it since I dont smoke. I cut the panel upto get the other one out. How do you remove the lighter without destroying the panel? FSM says external snap ring pliers put I cant find any that work. In the FSM it looks like the pins on the pliers point away from ech other. Never seen a set like this.

• 3 months later...

forgot to update. I welded some pieces of metal to an old pair of snap ring pliers. It worked. Push the plstic tabs inside the socket in and wiggle the cig socket out. I now have 2 12V accessory plugs in the dash. :hyper:The socket for the cig lighter is different then the dedicated 12V outlet. 12V outlet makes a better connection with your plug.

• Like 1

Thanks! I have the 2 OEM & never noticed that, besides the cig lighter is key-on while the power port is always hot.

Exactly. I left them wired them same. One keyed one constant. If you don't have the plug that has the wiring, you will have to grind a bit of clearance as cig and power use different connectors. If you do, it is easy to remove the connectors to swap the plugs. Iirc one is green the other is red.