• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

throttle linkage rod end clip???

well i finally got my truck running and inspected.......MAN I MISSED DRIVING A CUMMINS!!!!!!:hyper:so for the first trip i took it on a 120 mile round trip to my girlfriends college. It ran pretty good up and back but i did have one small hick-up. i was pulling into a parking and lost throttle completely. so after a quick look the throttle linkage rod end nearest to the firewall had popped off. It looked to me though that whatever is inside the socket part of the rod end was still attached to the ball on the linkage bracket. Now after talking to my uncle he said that there was an "E" clip missing off it. but as far as i can tell from pure diesel powers website and diagrams of throttle linkage there are no E clips on them. So im guessing that i just need new throttle rod ends ?? Also is this a common issue???

There was a recall on the early 12V's, I think just the 94-95' but that was just a sticking issue. I took pics of everything since it seems like maybe something fell off and you are trying to figure out what. Let me know if you need any more pics or vids or anything at all. post-45-138698186931_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698186911_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698186922_thumb.jpg

Forgot about the rod, sounded a little more like what you are referring to. If its this then yeah I think you have to get a new end. I don't think you can get the ball into the socket without a special process of some sort that us DIY's can't do. I can't do it anyway :lol:post-45-13869818694_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah first 3 was throttle cable. Does it get firmer when the truck is off after the pedal goes in maybe 1/2"? Like it hits something...? If that's the case then it's normal, I'll show you why in a bit.

Well there you go, get the dealer to do it for free :thumb1: Here's the reason for the other hard spot. Uh let me expand on it now that I've watched my crappy explanation. That easy part that I show when the governor spring is in at the beginning, or the first half of the pedal, is actually the only usable part of the throttle. Even during operation. The difference is that during operation, that spot advances. What makes it hard is the governor spring resistance as you can see in the video there is no resistance when I take the spring out. So the half inch gives you full rack travel and then your just pressing against springs and stuff and basically doing nothing. As engine RPM increases, so does the flyweight resistance. This in turn pushes the spot that you "hit" (when it gets hard) back as RPM goes up. But going past that hard spot does nothing.. Eventually the hard spot is on the floor and at that point you will be at redline. I have no fuel plate or AFC whatsoever and when I pass someone I can either hold it to the floor or I can push down till I feel it hit that hard spot and then easily push down riding that hard spot. The power is exactly the same either way. It is a little different when you have the AFC and fuel plate to complicate things but it basically works the same way with them involved since that hard spot means you are just pressing against springs and doing nothing. It's really just a safety feature for the pump since us being humans would rather floor it than ride along the pumps capabilities (ride the hard spot) :lol:

http://youtu.be/7NH34VIPWY0

• Like 1