• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Changing front crank seal without taking of gear cover?

Has anybody done this without taking off the gear cover? I put a new one in about 2.5 years ago when I did the KDP, but it has started leaking again, coating the front steering components and of course the drive way. Thanks Rick

I JUST recently had to redo my crank seal as well. I think when I fixed my KDP the inside lip of the seal got curled over and then friction took over and in time melted it a bit to cause it to leak again. I DID NOT want to remove all the crap that is involved in removing the timing cover. I got the belt and dampener off. Took the old seal out with an small flathead screwdriver. The trick part is to try and get the new one in! You may be able to pull it off, but I was not able to! I had it going on and thought I was in business. Took one wrong tap and she got cockeyed on me. Was stuck that way and tried to do my best without ruining the seal in the process. I ended up boogering it up... :banghead: That was a $45 mistake... So, its either you invest a little extra time to get full access and do it the right way the first time, or you take a gamble with your patience and skills and try. I'm confident it can be done without removing everything, but in my case, I'm just not that good. :ashamed:

Thanks for your experience with this, I have the seal install tool,but not sure if it will slip over crank, might take a chance and tackle this in the next couple of weeks as I can't stand the oil on my driveway.

Did you get it?