• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

86 Ford with Cummins swap - Need help with gauges

Downtime

I just signed on and could use some help I have a 1986 ford f-350 4x4 with an 01 cummins nv4500 08 Superduty rear 04 Superduty front axles and a bunch of different parts ranging from 1982-2013 I have pretty much squared everything away except for wiring the gauges ie oil press tach temp fuel press sending unit and whatever else I'm missing would greatly appreciate any help

I just signed on and could use some help I have a 1986 ford f-350 4x4 with an 01 cummins nv4500 08 Superduty rear 04 Superduty front axles and a bunch of different parts ranging from 1982-2013 I have pretty much squared everything away except for wiring the gauges ie oil press tach temp fuel press sending unit and whatever else I'm missing would greatly appreciate any help

Hi Wes. The 01, IIRC, has most the instrument panel gauges controlled by the PCM, IIRC.. Do you have a 2001 Dodge Ram Cummins FSM with wiring schematics?

No I've figured out how to use the PCM with this engine through trial and error so I've got it to where I can start it and the fuel pump grid heater etc all work but I would like to get the gauges preferably oem working with the cummins I have complete engine harness but where it goes into the cab what I would call the cannon plug is cut off and I somehow have to go from 01 dodge to 86 ford and patience is a virtue that I lack

well, the 2001 Oil Pressure switch only connects to the gauge; it does not go to the PCM.The Speedo on the 2001 is electronic, and is read from the rear diff sensor, I believe.I guess some baseline questions for you to research are:What are the values, resistance-wise, that the Ford looks for to operate full sweep? Then we can try to compare that to what the Cummins sensors output.I'm assuming you need Oil pressure, water temp, voltage, speedo.. what else?

well, the 2001 Oil Pressure switch only connects to the gauge; it does not go to the PCM. The Speedo on the 2001 is electronic, and is read from the rear diff sensor, I believe. I guess some baseline questions for you to research are: What are the values, resistance-wise, that the Ford looks for to operate full sweep? Then we can try to compare that to what the Cummins sensors output. I'm assuming you need Oil pressure, water temp, voltage, speedo.. what else?

Speedo is squared away using cable on np208 temp I have aftermarket gauge just took out factory and replaced with mechanical my main concern is oil and tach I'd like to use mech oil gauge but I'm not sure if it will throw a code as far as the tach goes I have an aftermarket just don't know where to tie it in

Speedo is squared away using cable on np208 temp I have aftermarket gauge just took out factory and replaced with mechanical my main concern is oil and tach I'd like to use mech oil gauge but I'm not sure if it will throw a code as far as the tach goes I have an aftermarket just don't know where to tie it in

I'll get you the diagram. You can use mechanical oil gauge. Tach is from crank sensor I believe but I'll verify in the morning with diagrams. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, after searching through the diagrams of the instrument cluster, it appears that the gauge signals (minus the oil pressure) are sent to the cluster from the PCM via data link..However, in your situation, I think you can use aftermarket gauges and be fine. I'd leave the OEM sensors in place so not to throw codes for them, but add your additional gauges as needed.

Ok, after searching through the diagrams of the instrument cluster, it appears that the gauge signals (minus the oil pressure) are sent to the cluster from the PCM via data link.. However, in your situation, I think you can use aftermarket gauges and be fine. I'd leave the OEM sensors in place so not to throw codes for them, but add your additional gauges as needed.

Sounds like a plan thanks