• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Forsale right after VP replacement

Ok i am currently looking for a second Dodge with a cummin's under the hood. But same as the last go around finding one that is just like i want it is getting harder. So i'm looking for a 2001 Dodge 2500-3500 HO 6spd but so far nearly every one i've looked at all say the same thing 150-180-250k mile's The mile's are way back in my mind i've drove a few with 400k and drove like new and of course the dreaded "Just replaced VP44 and added a Airdogg/FASS" Why do all these people drop $1500 for a Inj pump +Labor and then add a $700 Fuel pump + Labor and a 100 mile's later thorugh it up for sale. If i drop that kind of cash on something i'm gonna run it into the ground. lol I had a friend drive his Cummins about 50 mile's hauling hay with out a fuel Pressure gauge as his VP44 slowly died after he turned it off it didn't restart...Needless to say about 6k in repair's later he got it back and learned a lesson. But his mech told him to just buy a pump from a junkyard and through a Fass on it and sell it quick. My friend begin an honest man refused took it some where else and had it replaced. So what i'm asking is what are the risk of buying a truck with a "recent VP44 replacement and airdogg" and how best to tell if it's a safe buy. I use my current truck as a guide on what to look for.(the one on the forum Background lol)

If the truck has had a new VP44 and airdog or fass or some other lift pump system recently then ask for receipts, proof is in the pudding! I dont see anything wrong with a truck with new pumps, as long as the rest of the truck checks out fine.I think the reason that most people fix the dead VP44 then sell them off right away, is the mechanic tells them to,,,, well your truck needs a VP44 and a fass (or etc) and then you better sell it while it is running. The mechanic got his money right, so why not some advice. Most people looking for a used truck would like to drive it to see what the rest of it is like first. (most was the key word) What the trans is like, what the front end is like, just a overall feel for how the truck runs and drives, how the power feels, smoke, shakes, shimmies, etc, when the VP44 is dead you can't do any of that. The seller can say anything he or she wants, but most people will look at a non-runner as a pig in a poke and there are to many unknowns. Not only that but you can't drive a dead VP44 truck home, so there is hauling or hiring a tow truck, more money, then paying a mechanic to fix it more money, and what if there is other problems, more money. So fix it and sell it while you can, as a runner as the mechanic says.I myself would buy dead VP44 truck if the rest of the truck looked "OK" and if the price was less then half of what other running VP44 trucks sell for. But most people get scared off at a non-runner. I am more of a gambler though, at times. Last fall I was looking for a truck, I looked for one with a dead VP44 could not find one. Low and behold I found a 1998.5 with a new VP44 on it, with only a few thousands miles on the VP44. Owner said he tried to sell it not running with the dead VP44, but everyone wanted it for nothing. So his mechanic told him to fix it and sell it running with a new injection pump, which he did and yes he gave me the receipts to prove when and where the work was done. Now I just need to put my new lift pump system on it to protect that new VP44. Not sure if that answers what you were looking for, but that is my opinion of it anyways.