• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

dana 70 power lock options

jordan

hey guys been a while since i've posted anything. i've still been working on the beast and have made it to the back axle that clearly needs the power lock rebuilt (spider gears are in really ruff shape and clutches are pretty well shot) i would love to hear some idea's on how i should set this thing up i.e steel clutches or fiber/steel ? i hear some people talking about using dana 80 clutch kit or dana 70hd clutch kits instead of OEM ? as-well as clutch set up washer/clutch plate arrangement. if anyone has any experience or input it would be much appreciated!! if i had the $ i'd go for an arb but my pockets are a little light at the moment :broke:

very simple to do, just get a clutch kit and if you noticed when you took it apart it has steels against steels and fibers together with another fiber, this is done by OEM's to purposely make it slip easier without snapping in corners, to restack properly start with steel against the side gears or belville washers and then alternate fiber steel ect ending with another steel, If i remember correctly you need to add 1 fiber to get a tighter stack and to get it stacked correctly, I usually kept one of the best from the old stack to reuse for the correct "Not the OEM order" stacking procedure.:thumbup2:

sounds easy enough, what about the "all steel" clutch sets they sell though is there any benefit? i've been doing some reading and from what i've heard steel last longer then steel/fiber and offers a little more friction to lock up a little tighter... have you ever used or heard of just steel clutches ?

thanks for the info Bill, i'm leaning toward the OEM style rebuild kit, seems like it'll be easier to get parts for if something wears out again and there's more info on setting up OEM style clutch sets... this is the kit i was looking at ( http://www.iwerearendsonly.com/product_details.php?id=18 ) buddy said it's $350.00 Canadian but they're out of B.C so add another $50 for shipping to Ontario... does it seem like a good price for a full rebuild kit ?

that would be nice if it was all it needed but the spiders pretty much destroyed themselves :( i found 1/4" chunks of spider gear in the bottom of the diff luckily they didn't get into the pinion gear and chew that as-well i will post a pic of the spiders when i pull the unit apart