• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rookie question on Dana 70

kstossel

I have a 1990 D350 with a Dana70, 3:07 gears if that matters.I had the Dana70 off the truck and was doing the brakes, e-brakes and wheel bearings to put under another truck.I removed both axles so I could use the other side as a guide to hook up all the e-brake stuff, couldn't find my camera that day.Now I am done, and the axles won't go back in. The book doesn't warn you, but I have a vague memory of someone telling me 20 years ago, to NOT remove both axles. And yes, the yoke spun when I lifted the assembly onto jackstands.Did I make a rookie mistake, removing both axles AND allowing the yoke to spin. Is there a 'trick' to getting the axles back in. I know nothing about how the differential works, I have never rebuilt one and do NOT have any of the special tools needed to do it correctly. I have a gut feeling there is a pin or latch under the differential bearing caps but I am not about to remove them without asking for opinions.I also know the general condition of the assembly, I bought the truck new in 91 and put all the miles on it myself. It had miles on it, but there was nothing major wrong with it when I parted out the truck for various other reasons. In other words, I didn't buy an unknown piece of junk from someone.Thanks for any advice or opinions in advance

Are you putting the same axles back into the same housings? There are different axle spline counts within the dana family. It doesn't matter if anything moves or turned it is a direct spline just need to turn it while pushing it in, nothing to fall out of place in a dana.

yes, same axles that came out of it. And original to it from factory. And I even marked them as to which side they came out.I admit, I didn't hit it with a hammer, but I did push with a fair amount of force, both while turning the axle and while having someone spin the yoke completely around. It really feels as if something is blocking it. I also didn't hear anything fall down, or 'clunk' when I removed the axles so I don't think the bearings exploded or anything when I removed them.I will try again in the morning. I actually hope I am just not pushing hard enough. I would rather be considered stupid and/or timid, then having a real issue inside my differential.Thanks for the opinion.

Thank you. I wasn't able to see anything when I looked today, I just saw some light but couldn't tell if there was a blockage in the tube. I will try both ideas in the morning.The joke sailed over my head, but I will put up with anything to avoid damaging a part I have no knowledge of how to fix.I will try to see if their is a block and then if not, use a bit more force, and angle adjustment.Thanks again to both.

no problem on my end, I have a thick skin, just didn't get it that's all. I will try the suggestions this evening. Another local guyy just told me there is no reason they shouldn't go back in, if they came out. Can't wait to see what teh issue is

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions. I did get the axles back in.I looked down the tube with a flashlight and saw no obstructions, tried again, and they just simply wouldnot slide into place.Then rotated the gears INTERNALLY BY HAND, it would go in only if what the parts book called the "pinion shaft" was vertical in the casing.When this problem started on Sunday, I did rotate the yoke slowly, from the outside, essentially doing what I did above, but the shafts never went in. It is possible I rotated to fast or just didn't get it perfect but I had at least done the correct procedure.I am ready to button it up now UNLESS it might make someone think I have some internal damage or too much play based on what I said above. Also, I am assuming the passenger side axle doesn't rotate when the yoke is turned because I don't have limited slip?. Right? As I said, I have zero knowledge of the differential, just something I never even opened let alone tried to work on. I try to avoid the areas I never learned for the obvious reasons. I know where I come from, limited slip isn't usually ordered by the dealers unless you get 4-wheel drive.Thanks again for all of the above suggestions. You kept me from pushing it across my backyard and loading it for a trip to a pro. Where I would have been seriously abused....and embarrassed.This is the 2nd time this board pointed me in the right direction. I'll send a donation later tonight.

I am assuming the passenger side axle doesn't rotate when the yoke is turned because I don't have limited slip?. Right?

Your correct, if you have a "open" differential (not locking) turning the yoke will only spin one axle, if you grab the spinning one and stop it ,the other side will then spin. If you get stuck you can sometimes fool it:ahhh: into a slight redneck posi by gently applying a little bit of brake. This forces the spinning axle, to transfer some of it's power to the non-spinning one.. Not much mind you but a little..:wink: