• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Emissions Rant...

So once again it's time to register the truck and I have to take it to a shop and let them run the heck out of it while testing the opacity of my exhaust. It's a stupid once a year ritual that I have to go through because the People's Republic of Colorado says so, seriously this state is getting about as bad as California with the greenie crap. First off the Envirotest centers that test gasoline vehicles for $25 do not test diesels, so I am stuck paying anywhere from $60-$85 a year for a emissions test. Second it's a BS test. The techs are nice mind you, one year I forgot to turn the Edge down and the guy asked me if I wanted him to set it to 0 before conducting the test. So obviously the results are meaningless. On top of that I have always been told other than particulate matter and nitroarenes diesel exhaust emissions are a lot less than that of a gasoline engine. So why do I have to pay nearly 3 times as much for a test, every year when my gasser only has to get tested every two years at one third the cost? I am really getting sick of stupid politicians soaking me for my hard earned change. If that wasn't bad enough they raised the cost of registrations and are imposing steeper late fee's this year. It's supposed to go up again next year I hear too, ugh! Take a wild guess what party what our dear Governor belongs too. Seriously when will people wise up and realize that they are not spending this money effectively and don't need anymore. They want your vehicle in tip top shape so you don't pollute but by the time they are thru soaking you with fees (that's right, a fee it would be illegal to double tax you so we call it a fee) you can't afford to repair the vehicle. This year I paid nearly $400 in registration fees for my wife's compact car, $125 for my 1994 Dakota that was $42 the year before, and now $240 with emissions for the Ram. Yet next year that same pot hole will still be in the road on my way to work because "they don't have enough money to fix it!".Sorry but I think I covered the pot hole by now Governor Ritter! This state is just starting to irk me really bad, they are scamming me for money left and right! :mad: :bang: :2cents:I guess on a more positive note if I am handing over money for an emissions test I would rather give it to a small independent shop that can use it rather than handing it over to a state that obviously cannot balance their checkbook.*end rant* lol

in oklahoma, we got rid of that inspection before i started driving. my mother said that the shops were not making any money off inspections so most places didn't want to do them. since most of OK is rural, it made get inspected hard(in some instances, you could have to take your vehicle over 100m one way). as a hunter and outdoors man, i hate pollution. there is a difference between driving a car and dumping your waste into the water/outdoors. some people just don't see that difference

I can't say I am for the emissions test. We don't have one here but I go through enough trouble finding an inspection place that will pass a truck with no muffler and a cracked windshield. I don't have the money to fix a windshield that has one little crack going all the way across it that is not in my line of sight. I do think inspection places are needed though. I found out they don't have that in Michigan and probably a lot of other states, but I like knowing that the person in front of me isn't driving something in such bad shape that it puts my life at risk. I would definitely pay for an emissions test if I was living in Colorado though! Theres a reason you can see all the scenery there, which is something you would want to see there, we could use all the smog in the world here to block the degrading view.

Haha Colorado doesn't care about safety. The only "safety" rule that isn't a normal DOT law that I know of is the fact you cannot lower a vehicle till its unsafe for the emissions test or lift it with larger than 34" tires for the emissions test unless its a pre-1982 vehicle in which it would get an idle test anyway so it wouldn't matter.