• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Electrical issue seemingly resolved - might be useful to someone else in future

A few days ago I posted a thread seeking assistance on a wiring issue with my mech gauge. The dome/courtesy lights were intermittently illuminating, and the key in ignition alarm was sounding when engine off with door closed, and ignition off. While troubleshooting today, I needed to stick my head up under the dash to look for loose grounds, etc. Well, in order for the lights to be off, and to make it more comfortable, I closed the door so I could put my feet up on seat and put my head under the dash.Anyway, when I shut the door, the lights went out as they should (ignition on/engine off) and then immediately illuminated again. I thought that's weird, so I pulled on the door and they went out, let the pressure off the door and on they came again. Yep, door ajar switch not making contact completely, but it wasn't the switch. It was the metal of the door. Throughout life of truck the plastic tip of the switch gradually wore a little dimple in the metal of the door. A little 100 MPH tape (fancy military duct tape) to fill in the dimple and a little more between switch back the body for insurance, and it seems I'm back in business. All this time I thought I had wired my light for the gauge wrong and goofed up the CTM. We'll see tonight on way to work.

• Owner

If I used JP Weld, then I couldn't brag that I had my truck held together with duct tape... Honestly, didn't think about using something to fill in the dimple, it will definitely be more 'permanent' than the tape. Thanks for the tip.

You own a Cummins they don't use Ford parts! (Duct Tape and bailing wire)... :lol: Yea... That would do it... To thicken up JB weld just mix it up outside in the cold and the epoxy will remain thick... But it might take some time to cure being cold... (Remember) you door light will be on during this time it might be a good idea to pull the batteries wihile it cures... Don't forget to reset your APPS afterwards...

Thanks for the heads up on this problem Lone. I had never heard of it before.:thumb1:

Anytime, the way I look at all this, passing this info around helps us save money, which lets us buy more tools and toys, so we can fix more things, and save even more money, then buy bigger tools and toys........well, you get the picture. It all became clear to me after I fixed it yesterday. When I had the problem, I thought, why do my lights come on without rhyme/reason, and even worse, why did my alarm go off couple weeks ago in Best Buy parking lot, now makes sense, because even though my door was shut, the contact with the switch was not enough, and the alarm went off, of course after I was already inside store. Funny thing is, I don't know how long it was honking, as we were inside for better part of an hour, which I guess is pay back for all those times when I lived in townhouse complex and someone's alarm would go off in middle of night for 30 minutes.

• Owner

Actually I heard a rumor that some states might outlaw audio car alrams and might switch over to silent alarms only (Low Jack and simular)... Out here in Idaho nobody locks ther cars/truck... The key are always in the ignition... Vehicle thief is extremely rare... Because the fact is there is only 1 road north and south so if you steal a vehicle you not going to out run Mr. Motorola... :lmao: As for all the fools that come from Boise, ID and set the car alarms we sit here and laugh or arses off because the kids around here love to set them off...:lol: As for my my alarm... It well rather silent... But rather deadly... You get in my truck you got to deal with 80 pounds of Dobbie coming at you... :wow::stuned: