***I see this may not be posted in the correct subforum, probably should be in the Quadzilla vendor area but not sure how to delete and move it, mods?***
I've been fiddling with tuning on my truck ever since I did the initial build with DDP 150s and a stage 1 GT3782R turbo I got cheap on eBay and fabbed into the truck. Loved the turbo sound but blew it up recently as it was on borrowed time at 40psi with 150s. I just did another round of work on it (build list below) and am at a loss on where to start with tuning as none of the tunes in the tune library run well at all on the truck.
I've read and reread a ton of posts on tuning as well as all the tuning write-ups and articles and have made some headway in the smoke cleanliness department, but the vast majority of tunes and posts about the timing aspect are on SO trucks from what I can see. Running timing that works on standard output trucks on my high output truck causes major bucking. In terms of CAN Bus fueling, I've determined that starting out around 63-66% gives me a smoke free low psi starting point, but with the base timing map and timing modifiers not correct (I assume), I would imagine even this would probably change once everything else is closer.
Anybody have a base tune that might be a decent place to start on my truck with HO lower timing so I can at least get some decent data logs?
As it stands, I can't really go full throttle because my current tune bucks pretty hard past 3/4 throttle on PL03 (on a scale starting at PL00) . RPM Timing Max is set at 16, 18, 22, 24, 26, max toad timing offset 2, low psi timing reduct 2, timing reduct scaling 100, light throttle timing adv 3, light throttle load limit % 20. For the CAN Bus fueling map a couple days ago I added the map from Me78569's 7x.012vgt injector tune 1.0.1 which is pretty clean up to about 8psi but a bit smoky above that. Previously I was running a map that started at 61 and bumped up 2% every psi ending on 107. It was smokier at low boost than the above map that starts at 66 which I assume is because I had to use more throttle to get the truck moving with the lower initial psi%. The truck would also die if I let the clutch out too hard during warmup mode but was ok once warmup mode was off. (I don't add throttle when releasing the clutch since the clutch is on or off no slip and shudders super hard and the truck ends up bucking like a bucking bronco when the ECM fights with the Quad for low end fueling if I add throttle when releasing unless there's zero heat in the clutch fresh cold start.)
Couple other questions:
-- I just saw in a recent post where Quadzilla and M73M were talking about a V2 2.8.5 version update. My app version (android) says 1.9.41 in the app settings. Is the 2.8.5 number referring to the version of the app or something else? If so, apparently I need to download the app from this forum and install it third party app style then? because the app on my phone is fully updated according to Google Play Store (the most recent version, 1.9.41, was uploaded on March 12, 2018 to the Play Store).
-- Also, for vehicle selection I'm running the V2 Quadzilla Only Version 3.94. A friend of mine sent me his UCC dyno tune to try out a few weeks ago when I first was trying to figure the tuning all out and this 3.94 vehicle selection is what his tune was under when I imported the tune into the app so I assumed this was the best one to run as he was working directly with Quadzilla ironing the tuning out for UCC last year. That was also the tune that led me to believe my truck did not like big timing as that tune has a LOT of timing for the huge sticks and Stage 2 Monster pump he was running and the truck was almost undriveable past 1/4 throttle even on PL03.
My build is as follows:
- 380k mile truck, original, nothing rebuilt on it
- Engine wear is nearly non-existent, all main/rod/cam bearings,cylinder bores, pistons, etc look great for mileage (pulled engine when I first bought it to reseal and inspect it all, oil analysis on all oil based fluids came back fine for mileage, no excessive wear, strictly maintained vehicle purchased from original owner, 1 foot thick of receipts)
- OE 350k mile HO injection pump (original died and was replaced under warranty at 30k)
- 350k mile 2005 FASS 95 Red with all updates (installed with IP replacement), I sumped the tank, bowl delete -8AN direct feed to IP with long 90 radius, lift pump will be upgraded to AirDog II-4G 165 soon
- DAP "New Bosch Bodied" 305 Bar single large feed 6x.013" sticks
- Bosch cross tubes with edge filters removed, OE internal diamater
- Hamilton Cams 178/208 cam, Enterprise Engine brass billet thrust plate, valve lash at .010" intake, .020" exhaust
- Hamilton HD Pushrods
- Hamilton 103# springs, tool steel retainers
- Had the valve spring seats cut for 3rd gen valve stem seals
- Head has been decked .006" to get it flat (I also measured all valve face depths and piston protrusions if interested)
- OE PAI Industries head gasket, measures .063-.064" uncompressed IIRC (advertised as OE style and thickness, better quality and stickiness than the Cummins ones I've run recently IMO)
- I did a somewhat decent Dave's Head Porting Extravaganza Stage 2 port on the exhaust ports and somewhere between 1 and 2 on the intake ports (the casting core drop on my head was WAY worse than the pics in his write-up so took it easy on the intake ports with fear of blowing through a coolant jacket)
- O-ringed the block with my Isky Groove-Matic, SCE stainless wire (doing in-chassis SUCKS)
- ARP 425s, bottom-tapped and cleaned all holes
- Fluidampr, drilled and pinned to crank
- Fleece coolant bypass kit, Shell Rotella EG-1 ELC
- Crazy Carl's intake plenum
- Turbo Lab of America "67/67 HE351 builder kit" with 67/88 7x7 compressor, 76/67 10 blade turbine, 360 journal and compressor cover boost seal cut into bearing housing. I added step gap rings, WPC'd everything, Midwest turbo balanced, ported the wastegate a ton, Savage Fab spring gate at 50psi (EBP sensor soon arriving to verify drive pressure), Cerakote C-7600Q coating on bearing housing (outside) and exhaust housing (inside and out)
- eBay special "high flow" intercooler we had laying around
- Turbosmart Big Bubba Sleeper Black BOV, on hot side CAC tube at compressor outlet
- eBay special FX Stage 4 full ceramic single disc "585hp" rated (has been holding so far), going to either a Haisley Street Drag or Street Puller dual disc setup soon
- Polybushings.com race hardness engine mount inserts
- MAP, IAT, CMP, Coolant temp replaced with new Cummins sensors, new t-stat, water pump, etc
- NV5600: Cool-Master trans coolers and filters, Amsoil Synchromesh 1qt over fill (+2qts for coolers), BD Diesel short throw shift kit, 1.5lb weighted shift ball
- Front end: DOR bent, poly-bushed, front control arms, DOR track bar kit, Mopar 08.5+T-Style linkage, 3rd Gen Thuren Fab valved King steering damper, RedHead gear, sector shaft brace, Moog bj's, Spicer Life aj's, SKF unit bearings, Borgeson high flow power steering pump
- Rest of truck: DOR bent traction bars w/ Johnny Joints w/ custom mounts (still in battle with DOR over a bunch of severely slow order fulfillment and bad part fitment issues), Bilstein 5100 shocks, 3rd gen napa ultra premium rotors, hawk LTS pads, 3rd Gen calipers/brackets, reamed original brake lines, Ravenol DOT 5.1 fluid, radiator, heater core, etc etc and a bunch of other visual/interior stuff not relevant to performance
Sorry for such a long post. I've put a massive amount of time and money into this truck and not being able to actually see what it can do is killing me so want to get all info on the table for the most accurate picture as well as to help anyone in the future with anything similar.
Thanks in advance for any help!