• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Re-Thinking the Boost Controller.

COWBOY,,,LET ME BOUNCE THIS OFF OF YA AND SEE IF ITS ANY BENEFIT.." What if you used some sort of a low psi accumulator..finding one that small would maybe the issue IDK But it would definitely cure the boost creep... BUT ...it will activate at full pressure where ever you have it set,,meaning that it will not probably open till 1-2psi before the target pressure you have it set at no way of know exactly but i bet it would be extremely quick acting.. probably fall like a rock but you may be able to control this by line/hose diameter...IDK...let me know what you think,,, i could see if i can find an applicable accumulator,, I deal with these a lot on equipment systems and have larger one on shelf but way to larger for this...

Edited by rburks

Are you talking about having a storage tank right before the valve, so once the valve opens, it can open the wastegate quick?  That could work, the issue would be mounting the tank close enough to take full advantage of it.

Been doing some hualling, and my clutch has decided it has had enough of it.  So I can't test the boost controller for a while.  However I did make some changes, and they seem to make it better, it still is going to have that initial spike.  I truly think that this design isn't for everybody, I use my truck for work, and rarely hit my max set boost pressure, and I always roll into it.  So instead of using it as a controller so much, I'm more or less using it to plug the wastegate until the my max safe boost (30 psi) in which case it works as a "fail safe" and lets the wastegate open.

If you use your truck as a hot rod, then a normal boost elbow will work fine.

WELL YEAH,  SORT 'A  but its not a tank an Accumulators are used in various hydraulic and pneumatic systems.. For "EXAMPLE" We use these in Building MINING EQUIPMENT Brake systems cause MSHA Requires the PARK BRAKE SYSTEMS to be SAHR or "Spring Applied Hydraulic released" so it takes pressure to deactivate the park brake and has to hold that said pressure or the brakes drag and burn up,,, WE use Accumulators to compensate for any pressure drop as it supplies continuous pressure via a nitrogen filled piston canister We've used them the same way on PNEUMATIC BRAKE SYSTEMS AS WELL.  they make these for both hydraulic and pneumatic applications

H

Edited by rburks

I understand there operation,  I was under the impression that they are only needed when working with fluids that don't compress, like hydraulic fluid and water.

Are you talking about having a storage tank right before the valve, so once the valve opens, it can open the wastegate quick?  That could work, the issue would be mounting the tank close enough to take full advantage of it.

Been doing some hualling, and my clutch has decided it has had enough of it.  So I can't test the boost controller for a while.  However I did make some changes, and they seem to make it better, it still is going to have that initial spike.  I truly think that this design isn't for everybody, I use my truck for work, and rarely hit my max set boost pressure, and I always roll into it.  So instead of using it as a controller so much, I'm more or less using it to plug the wastegate until the my max safe boost (30 psi) in which case it works as a "fail safe" and lets the wastegate open.

If you use your truck as a hot rod, then a normal boost elbow will work fine.

no,, i use my truck not abuse it ,,, just like you.. understand where you coming from

Edited by rburks

seems like I may not be understanding accumulators correctly.  I'll have to do some research.

EDIT: found this, and it makes it sound more like a capacitor then a relay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_accumulator

Am I on the right page here or did I totally miss something?

there Main use from my experience is to pressurize and hold pressure into a circuit thats requires full max pressure for long periods of time.. its really popular in Pneumatic systems. you can get them pre set or adjustable

It would be the same as a tank, just doesn't nned to be near as big like maybe a fraction cause it doesn't need volume to maintain pressure, cause of the nitrogen filled..

IT WAS JUST ME THINKING OUT LOUD,, IT MAY NOT EVEN WORK FOR YOUR DEAL...just thought id through it out there..

But id be willing to help you source one and get specs,,if you need    I can contact our Sales Engineer for Parker or Brand and explain the application and see what he says ??? 

it is more like a capacitor....when it sense's psi drop it releases pressure to compensate or activate a circuit, depending on model specification and adjustment

my attempted relating to a relay was as a trigger wire activates a relay psi drop activates accumulator 

Edited by rburks

seems like I may not be understanding accumulators correctly.  I'll have to do some research.

EDIT: found this, and it makes it sound more like a capacitor then a relay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_accumulator

NOP,,You didn't  BUT ,I did,,.. Im not sure how to word this without it make'n me sound like a dumb Arse :ashamed:  :ashamed: ... but here goes. this morning i went into garage back storage room and looked at different Accumulators i have in stock and did not see what i was looking for, so i went and pulled the diagrams for Scooptrams we've worked on and THEN IT HIT ME...these were and are air systems but AIR/over Hydraulic with Intrernal Wet disk brakes.. there still hydraulic just controlled by Air pilot valves or solenoids.... these Accumulators are used in the park brake circuit for the SAHR...So it appears I've had it ALL WRONG,,

SORRY ABOUT THAT COWBOY....  DANG I SURE GOT TWISTED ON THAT ONE.. :doh:

Edited by rburks

THIS might be something that would work for ya,,, idk if you could find it in a miniature small size and not to costly. this is what i had seen on the air brake sys park brake circuit, and not used much anymore,,, 

its really a downsized version of a oxygen bottle with NPT Threaded port... just stores air only,,,i don't no what i was think/n about a Piston or pneumatic/hyd. or nitrogen actuated Accumulator for Pneumatic service.. :doh:

post-109-0-90982100-1437416266_thumb.jpg

Edited by rburks

It's a good idea. There is gallons worth of volume in the intercooler/piping, so I'm counting on that as my reservoir tank, when installing everything, I tried to keep hose length to a minimum.  You have inspired me to install something like in your picture for my vacuum actuated exhaust brake, as it has 3ft of 1/8" tubing feeding it, and as it sits, takes about 2 seconds to fully engage.  :thumb1:

It's a good idea. There is gallons worth of volume in the intercooler/piping, so I'm counting on that as my reservoir tank, when installing everything, I tried to keep hose length to a minimum.  You have inspired me to install something like in your picture for my vacuum actuated exhaust brake, as it has 3ft of 1/8" tubing feeding it, and as it sits, takes about 2 seconds to fully engage.  :thumb1:

Yea i see what your saying,   i thought maybe some kind of storage might take away that boost surge and boost creep you were experiencing :thumb1:  

• 3 months later...

Just a little update on this.  I've played with the design some, and I was able to greatly reduce the spiking!  The main thing was painting it purple, I've had mixed opinions as to why that is... 

DSCN0266.jpg

Here's it in 4th gear,  1000 RPM and floored until 3200 RPM.

screenshot_34.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...