• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Repairing fatigued plastic grill, MTD lawn tractor

MTD lawn tractor…  fatigued plastic grill FAILED.  Sorry, should have taken before pictures with hood laying on the engine.  What was she thinking?  Result of brittle plastic, vibration...IMG_2639.jpg

Broken mount piece…  other side a bunch of shattered chips.

IMG_2640.jpg

Where Left mount used to be...

IMG_2640.jpg

Where Right mount used to be

IMG_2641.jpg

There was nothing to support the grill...   

Repaired grill with STEEL plate bolted underneath.  Hopefully spread load enough that it'll stay together. 

[url=http://s122.photobucket.com/user/fleeting_cat/media/IMG_2638.jpg.html]IMG_2638.jpg

(Use enough bolts?)  Bolted it back on the tractor yesterday...  Had to go to Lowe's as Home Depot didn't have 3" wide steel...  couldn't find anything Suitable in my materials pile.   

Edited by flagmanruss

Wife has recieved a Sabre by John Deere from her brother...  just spent big bucks getting it fixed.  Had been sitting in the yard covered with a tarp...  mice had gotten in & ate wiring.   The Saber is big, 25hp & has a huge 54" deck...  mows fast...  but can't get into tight places which we have a few. 

We'd talked about letting daughter dearest have the MTD but has kids & I ripped out NO mow in reverse safety switch (because there was a few places in the yard where backing up slightly was required) & pulley guards which are almost completely under the running boards (because they were jamming with sticks & woods debris)...  all done years ago.   

Edited by flagmanruss

I washed everything before reassembly.  Grill back in, hood on, can actually see the headlights (after washing the reflector). 

I spent some bucks to get better grade front tires installed on the wheels.  $39 ea + 10 to install.   I replaced the rear tires last fall. 

This MTD was a discount store model & one place they cheaped was the rubber.  We've been dicking around with leaky tires too long.   So one mower is back in operation.