• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Inaccurate Fuel Gauge

Hi Guys,My 2001 2500 Ram fuel gauge shows 3/4 full with 700 kms on the trip OD. I filled it up and it took 90 litres and the tank is 128 Litres. Previous to this, it showed 3/8 of a tank and I ran out of fuel and had to bleed the system. Is there a fix to this other than replacing the sending unit?:shrug: It occured right after I installed my ScanGauge11 but I'm sure thats just a coincidence.Thanks,Arcwelder

Fuel sender can be had at you local dealer for about $70 USD. Yes it will require the tank to be dropped and the new sender installed. It's a common problem with these sender wearing out. Mine failed about 130K miles. As for installing it its not to hard at all.

Hi Michael You got the part # for that ?? Assume you mean the stock OEM fuel canister complete with 'float' switch that sits in middle tank. I had an issue where I busted the clip on the top of the fuel sensor to the harness - so I cut one out of a 2002 and required to give me a good connection. Could it be his harness/clip connecting to the fuel sensor [float] ? etc I guess either way dropping the tank almost required.

• Owner

Hi Michael

You got the part # for that ??

Sorry no...

Assume you mean the stock OEM fuel canister complete with 'float' switch that sits in middle tank.

Just the float and the rheostat... No canister...

I had an issue where I busted the clip on the top of the fuel sensor to the harness - so I cut one out of a 2002 and required to give me a good connection. Could it be his harness/clip connecting to the fuel sensor [float] ? etc

Yes... There is only 4 pins in the ocnnector... (2 fuel gauge 2 pump power)

I guess either way dropping the tank almost required.

Sad but true... Yes you got to drop the tank...