• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thanks for that post guesswho, I havent swapped it yet but in light of this info I now am convinced the cam gear is the problem, I did not realize they were cut with a tone ring on the 01/02 but only a hole for reference on the 98.5-00, Makes total sense now. You are the bomb, I was about to jump ship on this problem altogether, Thanks!:thumbup2:

i can only take credit for finding that info. i haven't seen the gears in question but if the sensor is the same...that only leaves the gear. plz let us know what you find and when you get your truck running right:thumbup2:

Well yesterday wasn't such a good day but I guess it's been consistant with the way this whole f...n project has been going. Started out to change the cam gears, stripped the truck down and the 02 motor which is sitting on my shop floor, so much for keeping it complete, ended up part way through the day dropping 1 of the 10 mm bolts that bolt the fan pulley to the hub down inside the motor, my stupidity, when I took them off (& I have no idea why) I layed them on the plastic shroud thingy in front of the windshield and when I was working on getting the 1/2" wooden dowels down the push rod holes I bumped the cowling and about 4 of them landed on the top of the head, well unbeknownst to me 1 went down and sat on #4 intake cam follower, well when I dropped the dowel down that hole it kind of bounces and then I hear the bolt pack up & head south to the pan. Spent the next 2 hours with a magnet fishing it out, Thought I was gonna have to drop the pan, lucky me (so I thought), anyway as I am putting the cam back in after swapping the gears I did manage to drop trhe retainer and yep you guessed it lucky thing the oil pan was there to catch it. Long story short I did fish it back out in only about 20 min., Now I discover that the 3 bolts behind the cam gear need to be swapped too as the tone ring is hitting them. And while I am at it, I guess now would be a good time to make for sure the sensor is in the exact same location, right again (it's not) on the 01/02 it sits about a 1/4" closer to the center of the cam and it also sits in deeper (closer to the cam) So yep now I have to change the complete front cover as well. Sure wished I would have just did the fire rings & studs on the 02 motor to begin with and dropped it in. Thought I would save a days worth of work by not haveing to swap motors. Not to mention it would have been a lot easier doing the head on the shop floor rather than in the truck. Anyway for everyone that is following my problem don't ever try to swap a 98.5-00 motor into a 01-02 truck or vice versa, they are NOT the same, you have to swap the whole front of the motor too. I guess if you know this ahead of time maybe it's not so bad, it's just that everything I do on this truck leads to swapping something else, what's next I ask?

it's just that everything I do on this truck leads to swapping something else, what's next I ask?

not trying to poke fun:poke:...but how did that clutch look. it appears that when you get her running right, you will have enough torque to slip a new stock clutch

Clutch is the 1 thing I did do right. SB DD3600. I hope this is the last thing. My patience ran out about 2 months ago. I've been running on pure pissed off since then. Hopefullt this week. On a side note what is that gray sealant that they use on the case and cover? Anybody know? Looks like some good stuff.

Had to swap the whole case, Got to drive it today and hooooolllllllllllyyyyyyyy CHIT! Get in, sit down, buckle up & oh boy. 1st smoke job this morning was my lovely wife, getting on I15 to come to work and she has a 06 Nissan Maxima, Thinks she's pretty bad ___ in that ricer, well I kicked the juice up on 6 and rolled into it maybe a little harder than I should have and just like magic she wasn't back there no more, bout 5 seconds later she comes threw the smoke screen almost in the median and like immediately the cell ph is ringing, Yep it was her (not happy), She tells me I need to get that thing fixed, I said it is fixed! This is what it's supposed to do, I told her I think I need to get a bigger turbo on top, she says I don't think so. Anyway it's running good now, hope it stays together for awhile.

• 10 years later...

well, this dog bit me. Swapped a 2002 into a 1999 53 block.  The engine seems to run good except for the fact not working.  I have not test driven it yet.  Are there other performance problems I can expect?