• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wheel Corrosion on Cirus

I had the Cirus back in the tire store... leaky rims. The car spent quite a bit of time in the back... no charge but they said the wheels are corroding & if this continues, will need to be REPLACED. Wheels would total the value of the car... but I've already spent more this year than car is worth. (Complete distubitor.) Car only has 95k. I'm just can't believe the wheels can't be cleaned but clearly not at their expense (which I didn't expect... but they want to sell new tires). My mechanic friend suggests adding more stop-leak glop to the tires... I was running some but not much (one bottle / 4 tires). Ideas?In a way, this shop is tellling me that THEY don't want to do the cleaning even as part of a tire purchase. I can't do the cleaning because it would mean putting the car on stands, having the tires broken down, cleaning the wheels myself... I'm thinking about wire brush or bright pads on a drill or a dremel tool or maybe even bead blasting. Then new rubber installed. Alternatives? Buy replacement rims (aftermarket or used OEM), clean them or get them done, and exchange the wheels. Hmmm.

I forgot to mention... wheels are OEM Alum Alloy Mags. You mentioned paint... there used to be a clear spray... acrillic or something. The problem is I don't have the means to pull the rubber to even get at the bead surface.

Been window shopping on E-Bay Motors... 125-150 a wheel! I suppose shipping would be extra. New, used, reconditioned all about the same. Maybe I can just find a 600 car & call it even! I guess I sold the last set of mags (from daughter's junked Pontiac Sunbird) too cheap!

I'm sure I can't get another one with under 100k. I'm thinking of starting shopping wheels now & see if I can squirrel a set. Not many salvage yards around here but there must be some. I've heard of a lot of folks with wheel / leak corrosion problems... not just Chrysler products either. The problem is the labor rate... so seemingly a spare set of wheels is the only way out.

well the pick a part here(and the only one with ~100miles) has tons of wheels...that what they use to hold all the husks up off the ground. the problem is you can't call and ask if they have something...you have to pay $2 to go in and look. if they have it, you go get your tools out of the truck and save some money.:cool: nearly everything is >10 yrs in there, otherwise its picked clean. if you would like i can go snap some pics. i need to find a distributor for a 93 accord(the kind with the external coil) anyway.