• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Longer cranking...

Ok guys have some questions. I'm seeing some odd ball things in regards to fuel pressure and grid heater and rpms. 

To explain the two...

One, on start up, when grid heater is cycling you can see the voltage drop on the dash gauge but fuel pressure will go up. It'll idle right around 16psi and jump up to just shy of 18psi when voltage drops while the grid is on.  

Once up to running temp and grids aren't on, I don't see the jump, UNLESS, I get on the throttle a good bit. I typically putt around but if I get on it and get up to around 2000rpm, I noticed the fuel pressure would jump up to 18psi and as soon as I let off a bit it'd drop back down to 16ish. 

I checked voltage at the relay and all seems fine (14.1 and 12.5 with grid goin) 

What do you all think? Could this really just be a bad check ball? Leaky pickup tube in my fuel module?

I feel like this is turning into my own blog! :lmao:

Anyways, in case anyone was wondering, turns out, YET AGAIN, it was the stupid check ball and spring. I pulled it out to check it and sure enough, this is what I found.

image.jpeg

if if you look close you can see the spring has pushed in over itself on the bottom, causing the lean. The ball is pressed so firmly into the spring that even falling over wouldn't cause it to fall out. I have no clue what's causing these things to fail on me so quickly. Like I mentioned before, FASS seems to think its air leaking somewhere causing higher cavitation (I say BS) but that doesn't add up.

I replaced it with an Airdog 17psi spring and Viton rubber ball. I attempted to use the Airdog fitting as well but it seemed slightly too long and wouldn't snug so I kept with the FASS fitting, which has grooves where the spring seats.

LEFT: FASS fitting, spring & buna ball RIGHT: Airdog fitting, spring & Viton ball

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

So far pressures are exactly 18 after getting even slightly warm. PSI drops with rpm increase and drops when voltage is pulled from grids. I'll obviously keep you all posted on the longevity of this setup.

All in all, pretty wild to think that spring and ball was causing something that seemed clearly electrical. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/24/2017 at 11:09 AM, davidc70 said:

Was this the final fix ?

Dave

No not the final fix to the longer cranking. This did fix the erratic and random fuel pressure. I'm pretty sure I identified the problem in another thread, but I haven't had the time to drop the tank and run new hose yet so I'm not 100% sure if it's the fix. I'll try and find the thread and link it.