• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1999 Ecm Pcm Issues NO START

Ok LOOKING for some help here . I have a 1999 2500 4X4 5 speed Quad St .

Recently I did a cab swap over the winter . While putting the truck together I used the 1998.5 Dash and harness from an SLT . While working on the truck it ran great started up after sitting for a couple of months .

While were putting it all back together we came across an issue with the 1998.5 dash . the Headlight switch in a 1998.5 and the 1999 are different and we had no headlights . so we switched everything over and put the 1999 dash back into to the truck . So all the harness is 1999 .

We went to start the truck and it started and died ! We thought the pump but after all that what was going on we hotwired the pump and it starts?

Next we thought the ecm went for a pouch . We had the p1698 code and even after wiping it clean it still a no start .

So I purchased a ecm and ptm from a donor truck . Put in the ecm with the original ptm still in . no start! next we put the donor ptm in and it started and stalled about 4 times. now we have a no start again .

I found out after that the donor truck has a highline ctm and mine is a low line. So in 1999 I am of the understanding that it is all plug and play . LOOKING FOR SOME input .

Just so everyone knows I have changed the Cam and crank sensors trying to get it to start .

I got this straight from Dodge RAM 2001 service manual, ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES 8E - 1.

Three versions of the Central Timer Module (CTM)
are available on this vehicle, a base version (Fig. 1),
a high-line version (Fig. 2), and a premium version.

- Vehicle Theft Alarm - The high-line/premium
CTM provides control of the optional Vehicle Theft
Alarm features, including support for the central
locking/unlocking mode.

The high-line/premium CTM provides the following
messages to other electronic modules over the CCD
data bus:
- Engine Enable (PCM)  <-----------------------------
- Radio Seek Up (Radio)
- Radio Seek Down (Radio)
- Radio Volume Up (Radio)
- Radio Volume Down (Radio)
- Preset Scan (Radio)

Edited by Chris O.

OK . From that is my understanding on a 2001 . My 1999 has lowline on the st model .

Does anyone know that this is the same issue on a highline ctm for a 99 ? Did the highline do the same ?

if so how would this affect the ecm and ptm  on the 99?

I know that the 2001 have a chipped key . Not sure about the 99 .

I was of the understanding that all the ecm and ptm in 98.5 and 99 were plug and play . Trying to find a fix !

Thanks for the input . please keep it coming