• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rebuil the VP44 to non electronic

I hear a shop here in Guatemala that afirm they can make the VP44 to work non electronic, and operate in same way the VE pump.I post this to see if somebody have some experience in this field.I will visit this shop next week and guive them a core to see what they do......

I am sure there would be ways to do so if you are creative enough and have the tooling to do so. However the whole point of the VP44 is the electronic control. While early pumps did have electronic failures the later do not experience so many, they experience mechanical failure causing an inability to control timing.Therefore I would think it would be wiser to convert to a P7100 or VE if you do not like the VP44. Otherwise just leave the pump be, run 2-cycle, and keep a good lift pump on it.

• Like 1

• Owner

Cummins2K has a point the older style mechanical pump dont have the features of the newer electronic pumps. The older pumps like the VE and P7100 pumps were mechanical and couldn't really change timing and fueling parameters based on weather, temperature, altitude, etc. Then tuning the old school pumps were a pain sometimes where the newer electronic pump are all PnP (Plug N' Play). Just plugged in your tuner and go... As for the change over of converting a VP44 to mechanical I've never heard of it but I'm willing to check out what you find... It would be interesting...

Cummins2K has a point the older style mechanical pump dont have the features of the newer electronic pumps. The older pumps like the VE and P7100 pumps were mechanical and couldn't really change timing and fueling parameters based on weather, temperature, altitude, etc. Then tuning the old school pumps were a pain sometimes where the newer electronic pump are all PnP (Plug N' Play). Just plugged in your tuner and go... As for the change over of converting a VP44 to mechanical I've never heard of it but I'm willing to check out what you find... It would be interesting...

It would be nice is the computer on the top of the VP was true plug and play, and allowed replacement without a new injection pump?

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY VISIT THAT SHOP, get a VP44 core and ask them.REPLY the shop they CAN NOT convert VP to NON-ELECTRONICWhat they can is to convert Electronic P-pump to a Non-Electronic.Thats the first time I hear Electronic P-pump....??In the conversation came to the discusion about VP44 advance timing is due to a electric/ valve on the bottom of the pump and the VE the advance is commanded by a boost turbo pressure hose so the issue to pump diesel to each injector in a distributor manner coul with a little effor by done but the time advance is more dificult. The other issue is the electronic sensor and harness would became useless.SO NO WAY TO CONVERT VP44 to a non electronic.