• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

not sure what i just did but ac coming out defrost vent

Everything was working fine. The blower motor has only run on high for a year or so. My blower motor started making a funny noise like the squirrel cage was rubbing against something. So I pull the blower and disconnect the electrical plug and pull the resistor also while I am down there. The resistor just need a spot soldered back which I did. The blower motor has  like a rats nest of insulation in the squirrel cage. I did reach up thru the blower housing and feel around to see if there was any other junk up in there and there wasn't. I put everything back together and the blower motor blows on all speeds now and the noise in the blower motor is gone everything is great except it only blows out the defroster vents no matter what I select with the switch. I was only working right there where the blower motor and resistor was.I have had to knock something loose right there but cannot figure out what. Thanks for any help you can give me .

Update

Ok never mind. I was testing it with just the key in the on position. I just went out and actually started the truck and it works just fine now. It even works now with the key only in the on position. Weird but I'll take it.

Edited by hawkeye213

It is a vacuum issue. The vacuum system runs the AC/heater controls. The supply line for this comes thru the firewall behind the area you were working on but behind the HVAC box. There is also a green vacuum line on the top of the box above the blower. It connects to a solenoid that operates the max ac vent. Remove your glove box and you can see it plainly. It is possible you knocked that off and the vacuum is bleeding off. This has happened to mine but it was the supply line coming thru the firewall. If the green line is not loose check the black one that goes thru the fire wall just above the turbo. Disconnect the joint and put you finger over the vacuum tube and see if you can feel vacuum there. Be careful because the tube will be come brittle over the years and it might crack. If you have no vacuum at that point, start tracing it back towards the vacuum pump. The fittings deteriorate over the yeas also. 

Thanks man was reading about all that on your other post but I got it fixed. 

Update

Ok never mind. I was testing it with just the key in the on position. I just went out and actually started the truck and it works just fine now. It even works now with the key only in the on position. Weird but I'll take it.

Edited by hawkeye213

A running engine would help, probably should have mentioned that. Not sure why it works now with just the key on. But like you I would take it. I just fixed mine after about 4 years of the AC not working. Not sure how I did it. I am spoiled already.

• 9 months later...

Hey guys, rather than start a new topic for something that has been discussed a bunch already, thought I would jump in on this one. I just finished installing new exhaust, and afterwards noticed that my air is only blowing out the defrost. As I've seen all over the internet, it seems like the most likely culprit is that I broke a vacuum line. I started tracing from the vacuum pump, and I'm having trouble figuring out exactly where the line runs from the main run across the cowl into the HVAC box. I see the line from the pump to the cowl line, and I see that it goes back toward the front, I assume for cruise control, and then there is another T that happens around the valve cover - for 4x4 probably? Then the line continues toward the passenger side, and it ends in the thing I'm holding in my hand in the picture. I assume this is supposed to be going through the firewall over there near the AC lines? As you can sort of see in the pic, it looks like the end of this may have melted. Or am I wrong, does everyone have one of these things hanging off their truck over on the passenger side?

My 4x4 and cruise are still working just fine, and I'm guessing that is only because this one appears to have melted shut completely at the end. Do you agree? If I actually cut off the end of this hose, then I would probably lose 4x4 and cruise as well?

My question really is - where do I need to hook this thing to? I'm afraid since I don't see anything obvious that it might have fallen back into the cab through the firewall, and I don't look forward to trying to find it from inside. Does the vacuum line from the engine bay run into the HVAC box through a port somewhere near the heater core lines?

Vacuum.jpg

The line should go thru the firewall at one of the hvac lines. You can remove the glove box and it should visible on top of the hvac box. It does look melted. Mine broke near the same spot as your is melted. The other end is probably under the dash.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info @dripley! I was finally able to pull out my air cleaner and look closer, and I found the other end, but I can't get to it. I can see about 1/8" of it sticking out right next to the top evap line, where it goes through the firewall. Inside behind the glove box you cannot see this one, as it comes in directly behind the black plastic box and cannot see or feel it.

So...rather than pull out the whole dash, do you know where this line ends up? Does it route over to the driver's side, down by the go pedal? I see some vacuum lines down there. If it really is one of those, I would much rather just route a new line all the way from there, through the firewall on the drivers side since there's already a hole, and then over to the broken piece by the air filter. But, before I pull apart the lines by the drivers feet I'd like to see if anyone can confirm whether or not that is really where that line ends up...? You'd think I could find that part of a diagram on the internet but I'm not having any luck.

I opened my glove box and the line I remember is connected to an actuator on the right side of the HVAC box. The line comes from that connector I believe you are seeing just above the and to the right of the throttle. The black line runs to that plug as I recall now. It has been a while. I have seen a schematic of that plug but dont recall where. Nor do I recall if the black line goes straight to it.

Just an update, I think the vacuum line from under the hood might actually go directly to the back of the switch, not the thing by the throttle. There are a number of vacuum lines directly in the back of the selector switch on the dash, and it makes sense that vacuum would go there first. But fortunately/unfortunately I didn't have to (yet) find out for sure, as I was able to patch the line under the hood. I grabbed onto that tiny little piece just barely sticking out of the firewall and pulled as hard as I could, and got it to slide out about 1/2". Just enough to slip some rubber hose over top. There wasn't enough room for a clamp of any kind or to wrap tape around it, so I squeezed a bunch of superglue on it, lol. Seems to be holding for now! If/when it breaks again, I'll probably have no choice but to run a new line all the way from under the hood through to wherever it needs to go. I'm definitely going to run it through on the drivers side though if I need to go that route, I have no idea why they went to the passenger side and behind the HVAC box, what a silly engineering idea.