Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cummins2001

Auto Transmission.

Cummins2001    0
Cummins2001

I am looking into beefing up my auto transmission. Anyone have any suggestions on a strong trans to hold up to moderate HP upgrades(120hp max). I dont think my stock can withstand a hole lot of extra horse. Any Idea's??? Thanks

dually    0
dually

If you are sure thats all you are going to do thats one thing.If you get the hp bug you could go with a triple disc torque converter.That will hold just about anything you can give it.A billet input shaft is a smart idea as well.I dont know if there is any tranny vendors here.If not try these guys.http://www.autotransdesign.com/ They built mine.Whatever you are planning for your truck these guys know how to do trannys.You dont have to make 600hp to have a tranny built here.The shop has a tranny dyno and they build converters in house.They will ask you what you need and then build it.I went all out, i pound on mine with nitrous and shift at 3400 sometimes.It withstands a beating.Another dude i know with a 800 hp cr pulls with his.Season after season no problems.

Cummins2001    0
Cummins2001

How much did you spend to have it beefed up?

dually    0
dually

It has been a wile i cant remember.Somewhere around 4500.But you could spend less.Each billet shaft is 800.00.I diddnt use my old suncoast single disc converter.I also went with a manual valve body.Stuff like that adds up quick.Atd can rebuild your converter set the stall speed to whatever you want.You may just need it freshened up.I know a factory rebuild is something around 1000 give or take.Charlie is the man to talk to.Edit 1500 to rebuild.+ or -

Cummins2001    0
Cummins2001

Who makes those triple disc TC's? Does Banks Power make on? I thought I seen a TC on there website but I would have to look and see if its a triple disc. What is the weak link in the Autos when it comes to HP? The TC or something else?

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

WOW!! I just looked up the Banks torque converter with the milti-disc and it was prices at $1400. I wasn't planning on it being THAT Much :stuned:.

dually    0
dually

Atd builds there own converters.I dont know about banks.From what i understand after 120 hp or so.And a few beat sessions the factory trans will not be happy.:mad: