• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High idle and vp44 throwing codes

Ok so yesterday I installed mopar1973man high idle kit on my brothers 02 dodge cummins 2500. I followed instructions black plugs go to coolent temp sensor and white plugs go to iat sensor. The iat sensor was not a easy as i though to get too. Next plug the white plug through the fire wall to see put the chip in and plugged it in. Grabbed my scan guage plugged it in to see if everything changes it did. What my brother noticed was white smoke bad. Looked up sure as you though check engine lights on. Looked at codes p0118 engine coolant temp circuit high input. P0113 air temp sensor circuit stays above 4.5 volts. And the worst one P0216 injection timing control circuit. Now I don't know if i bumped any of the other connections that may cause the vp44 code when my hand was down there. Keep in mind it has a FASS fuel on it and it runs 15-18 all the time. And the truck only has 60k on it also he just drove it 300 miles this weekend never had a problem till the other day when I put the high idle kit on. I don't know if this is an easy fix or not. I tried to clear the codes no luck. Scan guage said no response. So I unhooked the battery's and turned the key and lights on hopefully to reset the ecm and get rid of the codes. Don't know what's going on really hate to see him spend 2500 this weekend. I honestly believe I hit something I wasn't suppose too. Any help would be nice thanks.  

Edited by abner99

8 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

put it back to stock firstly,   

then check the connections on the firewall.

Yeah I did touch the connections at the top all those wires I zip tied to them. There is that weird connection down by the iat sensor that sticks out any ideas on what that does. The truck is stock other then the FASS 

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/502120-got-code-p0216-p1693-pump.html#/topics/502120?page=1

found my problem but was never resolved for vp44

The OEM map sensor is back there by the IAT sensor.  

I see that you bought 2 of the switches.  Do the codes follow the switch by chance?  

Sadly p0216 is very likely just bad luck.  that code is the ecm telling you that the vp44 is not able to command the requested amount of timing.  

The timing pistion within the vp44 is what controls this.  the top solenoid is the one that controls timing.  What are the odds this got bumped?  

DSCF6166.JPG

also check the main plug on the back of the vp44.

Edited by Me78569

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

The OEM map sensor is back there by the IAT sensor.  

I see that you bought 2 of the switches.  Do the codes follow the switch by chance?  

Sadly p0216 is very likely just bad luck.  that code is the ecm telling you that the vp44 is not able to command the requested amount of timing.  

The timing pistion within the vp44 is what controls this.  the top solenoid is the one that controls timing.  What are the odds this got bumped?  

DSCF6166.JPG

also check the main plug on the back of the vp44.

I'm away from the truck right now. Yes the codes follow  the switch no check engine was on before I touched it. Where is that solenoid located. It might off got bumped. I take it the iat and map send to the ecm then ecm to vp44

Ok so this is new we hooked up the battery's started just fine brother pulled out and drove down through the city at 45 mph little white smoke then cleared up. Got on the interstate ran 75 just fine made it home last night 5 hour drive no problems. All I did was made sure a couple connections were good. And reset the ecm 

high idle switch installed or no?  

I would get some dielectric grease and grease EVERY connection under the hood making sure to cycle the plugs a few times to ensure that the grease gets in there good.  

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

high idle switch installed or no?  

I would get some dielectric grease and grease EVERY connection under the hood making sure to cycle the plugs a few times to ensure that the grease gets in there good.  

No high idle switch is not installed kinda afraid too at the moment giving what happened last time. Uhh I'll let my brother know it would be way worth it to dielectric everything makes life so much easier 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the high idle switch resently and installed it about five days ago.  When i first installed it i did not disconnect the batteries.   :(  yes I  know i was supposed to.  I have no excuse.  When i first started the truck all was good.  Turned it to mpg mode.  Heard the engine change the timing.  Assumed all was good. I wanted to see if the high idle part would work.  Left in that mode for 5 minutes. no change:(  figured high is not engaged on my truck.  Turned switch back to mpg mode.  Thought no big deal i bought it for the mpg mode anyway.  Turned truck off and left it for the day.  Next day went to go to the store the wts light would not go off but truck started.  When i got home i shut it off and turned the key back on.  wts light stayed on again.  turned the switch to the off position all remained the same.  I knew it was not working properly.  So i disconnected the batteries, rechecked the connections.  And rerouted the wires for the high idle switch away from other wires and far away from the altinator as i  could.  Left the batteries disconnected for 30min.  reconnected everything now when turning the switch from off to mpg you feel the change in the timing happen and the wts light is now going off very quickly.  I hope this means everything is okay and working as intended.  I would like to think all this was just do to the fact i did not disconnect the batteries the first time like i was supposed to.

sorry in advance for my very very poor grammer