• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Diesel Fuel in Oil

Still chasing down the noise I'm hearing. Only have about 100 miles on this oil change. I drained a quart out and will drive it today to see if my oil level rises. Top sample is fresh rotella, bottom sample is from the oil pan. Oil still smells like fresh oil, can't smell diesel.002.JPG.8a804ad7bd793d5a6f0d636498fda750.JPG

Time to check and replace all the injector and crossover tube O-rings as well as the copper washers that go around the tip of the injector. Sounds like the cylinder pressure is causing fuel to get pushed past the washer and o-ring and getting into the head. Wouldn't drive it with it like that though, wouldn't want to run the risk of spinning a bearing.

Edited by Cronus577

Truck is at a local diesel shop. The sound is a loud rattle, sounds like metal on metal ringing, at lower rpms when the TC is locked only, I can hear it really loud with the windows down, going up hills are the worst. No sound in 1st, 2nd or 3rd not locked. Sound lessens with more rpms and boost. I'm thinking my fuel injectors are pissing, or providing too much fuel with not enough boost. Running a Super B turbo 57/65/14 currently Previously, I had 7x.009 VCO DFI injectors with edge comp, same issue, little smoke. Now I have 7x.009 SAC DAP injectors, super smokey, especially with the Quad XZT on 3. Did a boost leak test the other week, couldn't find much, adjusted the downpipe to HX40 flange for a better connection.

I ran seafoam once last year and power service grey in the last few tanks to see what would happen, no change in sound. On Sunday, I dumped a bottle of red lubeguard in the tranny and 32oz of 2 stroke in the fuel tank.  I drove it Monday to the shop, 30 min drive, no rattling at all. Ran half the trip with the Quad off, half on level 3, no rattling. I'm convinced, given my rising oil, smokey performance, that this is timing/injector rattle from too much fuel and not enough boost. Truck is not my DD so I'm not driving it. We'll see what the shop says, I'm thinking of down sizing to a 7x.008 SAC 40-50HP injector from Contagious Diesel.

Also, during this time, I had my TC restalled and cleaned and inspected. I'm guessing if there were TC issues DPC(diesel performance converters) would have told me when they restalled it. 

I'm not an expert at automatic transmissions but if it sounds like metal on metal when TC is locked it sounds like 4th gear might be gone. And have you done a compression check or checked for blow by to see if your cylinders aren't getting washed causing the fuel to slip by your rings and get into the oil? Didn't think .009's would cause any issues over fueling.