• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47RE short shifting 2nd gear

I've had an issue with my truck never shifting properly, but I never really addressed it until now because I had always assumed it was the stock trans that was on its way out and was in need of adjustment. However, since I installed a brand new revmax last week and the truck shifts exactly like the stock one did, I've been chasing down issues to source this problem.

What the truck is doing:

-Only starting in 1st from a complete stop. Even if I slow down to 2mph, the truck will still in take off in 3rd unless I give a lot of throttle to force a downshift

-Short shifting 2nd gear... 1st gear will take me to about 10mph under light throttle and then 2nd gear will take me to about 12 and then 3rd gear goes from 12-35 or so. The truck shifts into 2nd and then immediately shifts into 3rd. Sometimes it's so fast that you can't even tell it's 2 shifts. 

-When I accelerate at WOT from a dead stop, the trans will take 1st to about 2500 shift into 2nd, then back into 1st and then back to 2nd before running through the rest of the gears. 

I have adjusted my APPS sensor to match the voltage on the white sticker with the throttle at idle, and reset the APPS sensor. It goes from .57v to 3.80v smoothly through the pedal travel. This helped greatly with something the truck was doing before which was shifting into 4th at 30 and TC lockup at 35. It no longer does this. I also adjusted my TV cable so that it has 1/8" slack at WOT. I also had a stuck transmission relay in my underhood fusebox and replaced that. I was having an issue with a buzzing sound coming from the transmission itself. Sounded like a solenoid clicking on and off very fast and randomly, so fast it sounded like an arc welder. you could only hear it KOEO. Once you started the truck the sound was drowned out and I couldn't tell if it was still doing it or not. With the new relay in place, it doesn't do this anymore.

Any other options I can try before I go checking pressure ports in the trans to make sure it's not an internal trans issue? I feel like it's not because it was doing this with the stock trans. Maybe I have a bad PCM? Any help would be appreciated. 

I forgot to mention that this entire powertrain, wiring, and dash components were swapped from a 98.5 2wd 3500 dually with 3.54 gears, into a 97 4wd gas engine truck with 4.10 gears. Could the gear swap have anything to do with this? Are PCM's calibrated for a specific gear ratio?

• 2 months later...