• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Cummins has HickUps Engine Quits then Runs (P1689 code solved)

Well Fingers crossed.  I dove back in, I had to remove the air horn to get to the VP44 Electrical.  it was "Clean" and well Greased.  So I kept going.  So much for only changing one thing at a time.  I pulled the ECM and cleaned the silicone seal at the bottom of the connector.  Greased the pins with electrical improvement Grease.  Wire brushed the Back side of the ECM where it was supposed to make contact with the block for ground.  Greased all that with improved conductivity grease.  Went over to the Passenger side and reworked the grounds for the PCM.  Caught a little body ground on the drives side.   I was reading an article that stated these Electronic controlled truck like clean good grounds.

And traced out the mystery switches under the dash.  Turns out that one of them was powering a Diesel eliminator box.  So I found the instructions for that and yanked it out buy it's teeth!  

So Thanks to Mopar1973man I've "amazoned" a Blue tooth ODBEC11 reader (ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth) that will allow me to read and reset the ECM Code that is pending.  

I'll report back next week after I get this piggy smoged!  I hope!

Thanks All

Michael

Speed Eliminator.jpg

Edited by int3man
Added Picture

Nope Somebody is still pissed!  Can't catch a break.  Drove it this morning after sitting overnight to put a heat cycle on it.  Died leaving the driveway, Coughed in route, stalled during cool down and threw the CEL.  Got home pulling  P1689  Communication to VP44; P1693 Code in Companion Module; P0622 Generator Field.  I replaced the Generator and was clear of this code.

New ODEBEC II scanner arriving today.

Michael

So I'm searching P1689 and found this little jewel.  Brought to us by Mopar1973man.  Thanks Mike

Could it be as simple as all that ?  Now to play relay mechanic!

Michael

Swapped relay with Spare.  Will test drive.  Got 4K ohms to ground on the relay.  Seems High!  12.5 volts from battery, need to check across relay.

W-T has been done but the Alt output still runs to the drivers side.

Measured 43 MV with my fluke from the battery terminal to the Alt post.

I have to look that one up.

Michael

Edited by int3man
added relay Alt Data

Yes it could be as easy as that.  P1689  The FUEL SYSTEM RELAY was causing the grief.  I swapped it with a  spare relay and have driven it for 3 trips no Hick-ups.  I'll post again in a week to verify.  If it was in there since new it had 318,972 miles on it.

So I took the old relay out and checked it out, it was greasy internally.  If it was dielectric grease that explains a lot.  Relays have contacts in them that need to make good contact, when you coat that contact area with non-conducting grease you shrink the surface are able to contact.  This increases the possibility of welding or arching.  When the relay or contact releases the current wants to continue to flow and it will arch as the two surfaces separate.  Once the surface area gets small enough they will weld together at higher current.  We used to have trouble with this on the 120 amp contactors for D.C. Power units.  The bus garage mechanics would coat the cable ends at the contactor with the red anti-corrosion battery terminal protector.  It would seep into the non IP67 contactors and dirty up the contacts.  That treatment is only for the Battery end not Starter motor or elsewhere.

Now to get through SMOG.

Michael

unnamed[3].jpg

Edited by int3man
  • Like 1

O.K.  Truck is running strong.  I passed Smog today.  Life is good once more.

For me P1689  The FUEL SYSTEM RELAY was causing the grief.

My problem solved.  Your mileage may vary.

Michael

Edited by int3man
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1