• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

stuck rings

bahrfly

Well as you know i had a problem a couple weeks ago with a knock and a whole lot of blowby I was pullin a hill with my 8000# trailer all my gauges read good oil pres,egt@1000 boost@30 edge comp set@ 2-4 . Got the motor out and found #1 piston with stuck rings scored walls `:( what is the way to go bore and sleeve or short block?? this motor only has 58000 miles ??? :confused:

I messed up number 6 in mine,I had it fixed,and the folks got another piston and rings,and honed it out....ran great.It depends on how bad it is I think,I'd just try to get away with honed.I may be mistaken,but I BELIVE that in the big ol book they say you can get away with getting one piston a few thousandths bigger than stock,and it will work,mine was not too bad so they did not have to,they put a new stock one in.Brian

• Owner

Hmmm... Let me see what the "Big O' Book" says... :wow It says to much to cut and paste to this forum... LOL But still and all I don't think your going to be hurt to bad for a few thou's of extra space. But I bet that cylinder will be the first one to give you trouble in the long haul. (Oil burn).

Well i decided to have that hole sleeved and rings and berrings in all the rest, man they want $7000. for a short block + labor+parts NOT!!! This poor boy will have to settle for what he can do . I believe sleeving will be good. :mad

Have them step bore so the sleeve can't migrate and use locktight green for lube to install. It will cook out for the top 3 inches and take about 500F to let go if you pause in getting it in. But it will not move. A lot of people do not want to stop when it starts skip cutting, if the boring bar is not square it leaves a step that is easy to knock off with a die cutter. It checks well with persian blue on a scale - no print means that it clears, if it prints, cut the print some, wash it of and check agin.There are also sleeves with a step at the top that are intended to have the block decked after installation.If it would clean up at next larger piston size, I would just hone. The engine is metric, but the old gas stuff had no problem with one or two odd size pistons. Most would clean up at installing piston expanders - 3-5 thou and cutting .010 over rings to size. Even boring .010 over with the block inframe on a 3208 Cat seemed to work well, the repair was going well about 150k later when I left - it was over 450k on the clock. We did both heads , injectors and the broken piston.keydl