• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Going to do the Starter contacts tommrow..

Wish me luck.... I have yanked a starter before, to replace my CPS on my old 99...So I know what thats all about but opening it up is gonna be something new... doesnt seem that hard...I got the new contacts and plunger in the mail today, have poured over threads about it, and it doesnt seem that hard. Starter had been been clicking a few times here in the last month, off and on..and yesterday the starter hung on me for a second...truck clicked, then I tried again, she fired and the starter stayed on...shut it down and the starter stayed on...quickly started it again and the starter shut off...no damage to the starter it all happened within about a 20 second window...but I am glad I ordered those new contacts on tuesday....cuz she is on her last leg... any tips or advise on once I get her on the bench to open up... thanks NCA. PS..88k on the origional starter...everything I have read says starters are lifetime and contacts and plungers are good for around 100k...seems about right to me.

orderd mine from Larry... I guess mechanical parts do fail for different reasons and at different times...the most common miliage I found was between 90-110K miles and people started noticing starter issues (for those that had them) obviously there are many more out there without issues than with.... kinda like the VP...some get it some dont....my 1999 when I sold it had 165k on the clock with the origional VP....added a GDP Walbro at 132K and when I sold her she was putting out strong 18 psi and 14-15 psi WOT. my 2001 is at 88ish on the origional and a Raptor behind it and who knows how long this one goes...could crap on me tommrow... NCA

Well, didnt do it yesterday....I decided to push the luck and do it today...only needed to start the truck once in the morning (going to work) and once in the evening (leaving work) and she fired up both goes... So I felt good about doing it today... Got up around 8 this morning, had my cup-o-joe and toast....strolled out to the truck...looked her in the eye and said..ME AND YOU BIG GIRL....:tongue::tongue: Started around 8:45 and finished cleaning the tools aobut 30 ago..sat back and had another cup while cleaning... 2.5 hours isnt too bad (and I found a fuel leak, drip, drip at the inlet on the filter housing :mad::mad::mad:) No wonder when the starter came out there was an unusual condensation comming out of the weep holes.. fixed the leak (I hope, gonna give it a few days and check back with it) Loose male to female (banjo) I think...it took a 3/4 turn freely:nono::nono: Anyways...opened up the starter and she was BLACK and contacts were pitted, one contact Agressivly more worn than the other, but I have read that is common.. Good electrical contact cleaner, cleaning and slammed her back up under the truck... Test fired 3 start's in a row and she fireds right up.... Thanks for the help and well wishes.. NCA

Larry B's... Very easy to deal with, Phone call...price quoted...22.95 He said he has them listed on E-bay for that price which included shipping and that is what he would charge me... Placed the order at around noon on Tuesday...they were at my house on Thrusday....:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2: NCA