• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Case 188D valve lash

dave110

I have an 1835B with a diesel I'd like to adjust the valves on. There's so little room around the timing cover to find the mark. I seem to remember there being a way to do it without needing the timing mark. A method called the over/under method or something like that. Somewhere I saw it as an alternative and supposedly better method to check the valves on our Cummins or any inline diesel. Can anyone enlighten me?

• Owner

I ve done a method of rolling over till I find the compression stroke where both valves of that cylinder are closed. Like on 12V Cummins engines I tend to use this because most trucks the pin is broken or jammed. I just roll the engine over using the alternator and watch the valve train. Starting with 1 and 6 since they are running mates. Then 2 and 5. Then 3 and 4. 

Found 2 ways searching Google. The 188D is a 4cyl engine. Alt. nut won't turn it over (tiny V belt) but Case used their heads and broached a 1/2" square drive in the crank nose. Turning over until #4 ex. closes and in. just starts to open (overlap) #1 can be adjusted. then #2 for #3 and #1 for #4. I set them using this method. Then there is the rule of 9 method. looking at the engine from the front the first valve is #1, second #2 and so on. When #1 is down you can adjust #8. 8+1=9. Then when #2 is down you can adjust #7. 7+2=9 and so on. I double checked them using this method and they were very close. Like within .001". It's much quiter now and seems to start better too.