• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

DAP 50hp injectors, SAC or VCO?

NIsaacs

Looking to replace my 20 year old 50hp Bully Dogs. Getting the blue/rich idle haze, plus they have always been smoky. I understand I need the 145* spray pattern for my '91.5 intercooled truck.

Looking at these with new Bosch bodies:

https://www.dieselautopower.com/dap-brand-new-performance-injector-5x0-012-vco-145-up-to-50hp-15293

https://www.dieselautopower.com/dap-brand-new-performance-injector-5x0-012-sac-145-up-to-50hp-15297

I would like to stay in the 50 hp range, it seems to do really well at this level. I have no EGT's or coolant issues at all, just too much smoke. I have a rebuild kit on order for my '01 HX35W, it is going on also.  It dyno's 260hp/700tq now.

Rebuilt the HX35 and installed it in the '91. It was a direct bolt in. I did need to move the exhaust pipe/brake back 1 inch, the '91 exhaust manifold had studs to mount the turbo. The HX35 had two studs, so I removed them and 2 from the '91 manifold and used smaller bolts clear through, threads and all. The oil lines were exact as was the compressor outlet. The shaft was worn slightly so it didn't tighten up as much as I would have liked. 

Shake down run with empty truck to town and back, it spools quicker but max boost was the same, 26psi. The big oem air filter housing muffles the intake so no cool intake spool up whine. The exhaust might have a slightly louder idle whistle.

0729200545.jpg

0729200812.jpg

0729200813.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs
pictures

Wow, nice bump in power with the new injectors. I didn't expect that. Boost jumps to 28 psi now, still can get some smoke but it is grey now and not soot black. Idle is haze free.

Old injectors have Brasil KDAL 59p5 18208, 245 bar on the bodies and 4 hole nozzles. The new ones had really thin washers v/s old, they were thick. I would say about .010 v/s .030

After some research, the old injectors might be 4x13, 155* spray pattern and rated 50hp P-pump or 30hp VE pump. That might explain the bump in power and the smoke they had.

0802200712.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs
add info