• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HELLO and help please

new to site and diesels. i have a 99 2500 4x4 , ctd with an edge ez. the truck has never died but will not start. lift pump shows 14 lb at hwy speed. chk engine lite came on but goes off every time i re-start it.auto zone check shows no codes. from other fourms it appears i could have a bad crank shaft pos. sensor. i have bleed the fuel lines and get plenty of flow but i do not know at what pressure. any help or suggestions would be appreciatted. thanks in advance

• Owner

Hmmm... You might have to get a scan tool of your own to keep in the truck. Being there is no way for you to use the key trick because of the year of the truck. But if you had a scan tool of your own you could look at the code when the light appears. But what is strange is the code is disappearing quickly... The rules of self erasing codes is that the vehicle must complete 40 warm up cycles without triggering a error code again. As for the CEL light it can be reset as soon as 3-5 key cycles. But now as for warm up cycles the engine must start out below 140*F and rise above 165*F to be considered a warm up cycle. This might take several days if not months... So you might want to check with a different place with a different scan tool. Oh a tidbit for ya... If you think pulling the battery leads will kill off the error codes it won't. You can leave it discontected for years and hook it back up and the code will be there...

thanks , i picked up a scan tool this morning , but i can't get the truck to start at all. it never missed or stumbled , i drove it home and went to move it and it has not even tried to start.i'm hoping the crank sensor works. iv'e checked connections and grounds and plugs, all seem ok

• Owner

the cluster or just the tach? just the tach would seem to indicate a bad cam or crank sensor. i think on our 99's the crank reads rpms and uses the cam sensor to verify, but not possitive

thats what i think too. i'm not sure if the 99 has a cam sen. i got my fingers crossed , going to put it in tonite, i'll let you know.. thanks

Yea... The 99's had cam and crank sensors both but the crank sensor is the one used for the tach gauge.