• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Off-Road Lights!?!?!?

Hey guys, Okay surfing around the internet and on this site (Mike's truck), I've been inspired to add some lights to my rig. I'm going to get the Napa 50-620w-3 light housings with the 50w bulbs in them. I've thought about adding the 100w 4509 bulbs but think I'll wait for now as I feel the two 50 watts lights will be plenty for me at this time. So what I want to do is run the lights to a switch so I can have them flip on by the switch separately or come on with the high beams.... Is this possible??:shrug: Or should I say possible without running a million wires everywhere?:shrug: What they look like: http://www.yotatech.com/f127/auxiliary-back-up-lamps-75744/ And just in case you are wondering, I will be using relays and 12 ga wire. If I do it, it will be right.:thumbup2: Thanks, Winslow

• Owner

Ok... Keep in mind ofr legal highway use there can only be 4 bulb burning in front. As for my setup I got a set that follow the dimmer switch with 2 relays... Nice part is they come on with the parking lights, and are controlled by the dimmer switch. Only 1 toggle switch to over ride and to FORCED OFF or AUTO. As for the 100w bulbs... I can see up to 1/3 of mile like daylight... :drool:

Ok... Keep in mind ofr legal highway use there can only be 4 bulb burning in front. As for my setup I got a set that follow the dimmer switch with 2 relays... Nice part is they come on with the parking lights, and are controlled by the dimmer switch. Only 1 toggle switch to over ride and to FORCED OFF or AUTO. As for the 100w bulbs... I can see up to 1/3 of mile like daylight... :drool:

Yeah I know it isn't legal, but I only plan to use them when I'm driving late/ early morning when no one is on the road. The way you've got them would work too, but I want to be able to force them on without the lights just incase I need them.:thumbup2:

Then all you need to do on my setup is add 1 more rocker switch and tap the wire that goes to the trailer lights relay. So on one position is forced ON, OFF, Auto ON... So the terminal of the SPDT would be 1. +12V 2. To light trigger relay 3. To trailer relay Problem solved... :tongue:

Cool I gotcha. Would it be too hard to just have them come on with the high beams?:shrug:

• Owner

Cool I gotcha. Would it be too hard to just have them come on with the high beams?:shrug:

Posted Image

Then just bind all the light on one side of the second relay on the right.

But be aware you can never upgrade to 100w bulbs then because you'll be 16.6 Amps with 4 50w bulbs load across the relay which is fine and you would use a 20 Amp fuse and 30 amp Aux Relay.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike!!!:thumbup2:

I'm only going with two lights in the grill guard so I'll be fine with that as I've already got the standard stock fogs up there!:thumbup2:

It will hopefully be like a X-Mas tree!!:lmao:

--- Update to the previous post...

I'm trying to decide if it would be worth having it tied into the lights or not. It would be a lot easier just to run it straight to the relay and switch... Have to think about it. Is everything under the hood connection wise?:shrug:

• Owner

I say with the lights...

Because of one thing... If you got stock fog lamps now that means they are on with the lights now so if you aim the other light higher for a high beam position you going to want to drop them if you got on coming traffic. So if you got a toggle switch and a dimmer switch to worry about it just way too confusing on a later night when your tired... Keep the controls simple...

Old controls wihch no longer exist... The jake still there but the other 2 switch are gone...

Posted Image

Now here is the new controls...

Posted Image

Fog lamps left, reverse lights center, red emergency light right...

Everything else is controlled by standard head light switch and dimmer controls...

Yeah that's true Mike. But are times that I wouldn't mind being able to turn them on without the headlights. But I think it would be really cool too have both, flip the switch down to force them on, up to flip on with high beams, and center is off. Or something like that.:hyper:

Posted Image

Then just bind all the light on one side of the second relay on the right.

But be aware you can never upgrade to 100w bulbs then because you'll be 16.6 Amps with 4 50w bulbs load across the relay which is fine and you would use a 20 Amp fuse and 30 amp Aux Relay.

Okay I was looking at this a little closer today and bought some relays and a switch. I'm still a little confused....:lmao:

I see how to do the forced on, but still fuzzy on how to get them on with only the high beams.... I would do it with the low beams but that could be a problem even out here. So... do you have a suggestion on here to trigger the lights with the high beams? Not really sure where under the hood to hook it to...:shrug:

• Owner

Okay I was looking at this a little closer today and bought some relays and a switch. I'm still a little confused....:lmao:

I see how to do the forced on, but still fuzzy on how to get them on with only the high beams.... I would do it with the low beams but that could be a problem even out here. So... do you have a suggestion on here to trigger the lights with the high beams? Not really sure where under the hood to hook it to...:shrug:

Fog lamp relay in the PDC...

Posted Image

• Like 1

• Owner

Really simple... Build my setup... Now on the second relay all light hook to 87 or 87a just cant remember... As for the violet wire in the diagram goes where the green and brown wire is in the pic. Your setup you will have a relay there so you'll have to tuck the wire like my trailer relay. Then the trailer wire the green one in the drawing that would have a second switch one leg to the trailer relay like now, the center to the green wire, and the other leg would be to 12V.

Really simple... Build my setup... Now on the second relay all light hook to 87 or 87a just cant remember... As for the violet wire in the diagram goes where the green and brown wire is in the pic. Your setup you will have a relay there so you'll have to tuck the wire like my trailer relay. Then the trailer wire the green one in the drawing that would have a second switch one leg to the trailer relay like now, the center to the green wire, and the other leg would be to 12V.

Okay I think I get it. When I get doing it, I might have more questions.:surrender:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

Not to bad... The best way to do it is to pull the dash face and the take the headlight switch out of the dash... Then pull the a-pillar cover. Now you can route all the wires up to the a-pillar and the tuck them under the edge of the headliner... The little blank slug pops out I'll have to get pics in the morning on how to do it.:thumbup2:

Not to bad... The best way to do it is to pull the dash face and the take the headlight switch out of the dash... Then pull the a-pillar cover. Now you can route all the wires up to the a-pillar and the tuck them under the edge of the headliner... The little blank slug pops out I'll have to get pics in the morning on how to do it.:thumbup2:

Alrighty cool deal!!:thumbup2: