• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What off a 24v will work on a 6.7 block?

Aiazzisep

I have a 53. Block in a 2006 International 4300 service truck that cracked 3 years ago so I Tig welded it & it held up until now.  I’ve got access to a couple 6.7 short blocks.   Will the my new Vp44 pump with the 24v cylinder head work on the 6.7 block?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

There have been a handful of VP 6.7s made. If I remember correctly you need different connecting tubes, the entire gear train swapped over and the timing case modified I think..

The gears in a VP44 truck are helical cut but 6.7s are straight cut. The crank gear is a royal PITA to swap because the press fit is so tight (one of the ones I read about was, might have been exception vs the norm).

It would be easier to get a billet timing case and cover than to do the modifications needed on stock parts I think (not sure on this after rereading some forum posts).

Keep the CR head, it flows better.

As a reference, search for p-pumped 6.7s. The majority is the same except the different timing case and injection pump.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2021/01/dotw-vp44-6-7l-cummins/

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/vp44-on-6-7-block.2024442/

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2022 at 7:10 AM, Silverwolf2691 said:

There have been a handful of VP 6.7s made. If I remember correctly you need different connecting tubes, the entire gear train swapped over and the timing case modified I think..

The gears in a VP44 truck are helical cut but 6.7s are straight cut. The crank gear is a royal PITA to swap because the press fit is so tight (one of the ones I read about was, might have been exception vs the norm).

It would be easier to get a billet timing case and cover than to do the modifications needed on stock parts I think (not sure on this after rereading some forum posts).

Keep the CR head, it flows better.

As a reference, search for p-pumped 6.7s. The majority is the same except the different timing case and injection pump.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2021/01/dotw-vp44-6-7l-cummins/

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/vp44-on-6-7-block.2024442/

Thanks for the info Silverwolf.  It’s coming together quite nice.  Going to run the 6.7L block, bottom end & head with the 5.9’s VP44, injection lines & injectors.  I’ve got the gears on the crank & cam switched over with the 5.9’s front cover on it.  I’m going to run the 5.9’s ECM Jwith a Quadzilla tuner.  I was running a compound setup with a 50 primary?, (it came off of a old yard goat truck that had a M14 in it). It’s feeding into the stock 35 Holset out through the international’s cooler then into the 24v head.  
I have just been handed today a brand new variable pitch Holset with the new exhaust manifold that has a spot for a blowoff valve I’m assuming cast into it.  Im sure that someone makes a controller for that variable pitch other than Cummins or Dodge so I’m going to have to do some homework.  I’ll post some pics here when I get time.

Tanks again Silverwolf for helping me out.

Sep

I’m trucking right along.  Got the crank gear off with a homemade gear puller I made on the lathe.  With a little bit of heat & a 10 ton ram hooked to my power unit it came off with around 3 to 4 tons of pressure.  I’m going to hit the crank with some carbon dioxide because I’m a little short on nitrogen to get it cold & heat the gear up on my bearing heater n it should slip right on right? Lol it should get most the way then I’ve got a press setup with the 10 ton ram n power unit if it gets hung up at all.  To run the 5.9 cover I had to drill & tap 7 holes 8mm x 1.25.  Two of them are new holes at the bottom where I had to Tig the old holes up with nickel rod then sand down the high spots.  Just got done mag drilling them out & heading to fastenal for some Helicoil inserts.  I should have the front end done tonight then it’s off to see what I need to do to make these 250hp 5.9 injectors work in a 6.7 head.  Hopefully by the end of next week I’ll have it back in a 2006 International 4500 service truck.  I’ll post some picks here later on.  Thanks again for everything Silverwolf,

sep

• 2 months later...