• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2013 Turbo issues

Cumminsguy5.9

I wanted to start this thread so that I could finish it when I get home from work. I am having some issues with my 2013 ram 2500 and need some insight. A couple of months ago I noticed that on a cold start the truck would blow grey smoke and my exhaust brake would work periodically. I wrote it off as a stuck injector and put some diesel treat in and the grey smoke went away. Every so often the exhaust brake would act up but it wasn't anything major nor did it throw any codes. Just recently maybe 4 weeks ago I got a code. I don't remember the exact code but I do remember some of the problems it said it could be. Low battery voltage, bad wiring in the CAM/CAN BUS, and something else I can't remember at this time. When I start the truck with the code there the brake will not work for a few miles and then its perfectly fine braking and building boost. I would assume that if it was indeed a wiring issue the issue would persist throughout the drive not rectify itself a few miles into it. Which leads me to a battery issue, all the connections are clean and tight and the batteries have good voltage. New of last year this time. The alternator is also charging well. I have another issue unrelated to the turbo, not sure if I should start a new thread or leave it in here. The truck is a manual with a south bend dual disk clutch. When I serviced the truck I overfilled by a quart and am running the royal purple synchromesh which was recommended to me on another forum. And when I tell you this is a very sporadic issue I mean very. I cannot replicate this issue reliably. On 3 separate occasions when in reverse something binds. The first time it happened it felt like I hit something, it stopped the truck that suddenly. Checked around and didn't hit anything, tried backing up again and same thing so I pulled front a bit and backed up again perfectly fine. There are no issues driving normally just backing up every now and then. I don't feel any abnormal amounts of play in anything or see anything blatantly wrong. This one to me is tough because of how rare it happens and there could be so many possibilities. I have graphs of driving the truck normally on my scanner, they show the turbo actuator and all the values i'd think anyone would need/want to see. I will upload them when I get home. The files will also give the code number as well.

Edited by Cumminsguy5.9

If anyone knows how to upload the diagnostic file with all of the PID's from the launch controller I'd be happy to do so if it helps anyone out. I have two files about ~10 minutes in length of graphs and percentages for all the items in the truck. I understand that this is most likely a(n) electrical issue. I'm just confused as to why it won't work for a few minutes every time the truck is started and then it starts working again. I'd assume that if it was electrical or something in the CAN bus it would affect other items as well and wouldn't just start working.

image.png

Sounds like maybe your vanes are getting sticky and it frees up after some heat is applied.id pull the exhaust housing off the turbine and see how it looks.

Knowing the code that you did find would help.

Edited by Me78569
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Sounds like maybe your vanes are getting sticky and it frees up after some heat is applied.id pull the exhaust housing off the turbine and see how it looks.

Knowing the code that you did find would help.

The code that I found is linked in a file in my update post. Anyways the code is U010C which states usually low voltage, short in the + or - on the can bus, or in rare cases the module itself is shot. I should also add that I wouldn't think the vanes are sticking due to a build up as the truck is deleted with a 5" pipe, unless I'm wrong. The truck has been deleted most of its' life I think there is about 88k on the dash now.

Edited by Cumminsguy5.9