• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trip Report

dorkweed

Got back last night from North Dakota. Me and 2 friends went out pheasant hunting. Hunting was fair........dog work was very good.......temps were cold.......truck ran great........twas a great time!!!! First tank of fuel netted a 19.5mpg average. This tank was all highway; and most of that was running 70+mph!!! Second tank wasn't so good. Once we filled up in northern MN, it's only 3 hours to where we go in ND. After we get there, it's a lot of cold starts and short trips going from hunting spot to hunting spot. Had some extended high idle time in there also. This tank only got 15.8mpg. I'm still on the third tank, and I've got about 550 miles on it and the fuel gauge is reading between 1/4-1/8. Should be a 600 mile tank and an easy 19+mpg tank. This third tank I was running it hard to get home. We were trying to beat the snow storm. Didn't work. I was running 75+mph until the traffic (due to the snow falling) forced us to slow to a crawl-40mph for about 75 miles. Got home and there was about 2 inches of snow. Woke up this AM to 7 inches of snow!!!I had my Smarty set on SW5 default settings. There were 3 guys and 2 80lb. Labs in the truck.......and our assorted gear. Not a heavy load, but not an empty truck either. These figures are on winter diesel using 1/2oz of 2 stroke oil per gallon of diesel fuel. I even used the 2 stroke oil when we filled in MN which has the 2%bio mandate for all diesel!!! Truck ran great!!

Update!! I filled up today. I could have gone quite a bit further, but I passed a station that had fuel for $2.71/gal which is good around here!! Anyhow, that third tank I mentioned in the above post netted a 20.2mpg average!! :thumbsup Much of that was running 70-75mpg also down the interstate from Minnesota into Wisconsin into Illinois!!! Do y'all think 21+mpg if I maintained 65?? I do because at 55mph I'm at about 2psi of boost, 65mph I'm at 4-5psi of boost. At between 70-75 I'm running 7-9psi boost. Takes a lot more pedal to get from 65-75mph than it does to go from 55-65mph!!! Seems the longer I have the Smarty on my truck, the better the highway mileage is. Smarty gets me way better "around town" mileage.......I was a bit dissappointed in the highway mileage though. Granted that first trip to ND was towing a small trailer.....but I was expecting better. I guess driving into the wind both ways doesn't help!!!! LOL LOL