• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Chevy/Cummins with a 10 speed

if you look at the ratios, the top 2 gears likely match your 5 or 6 speed - assuming it has as much OD. It seems more common than not to have a truck OD be .83 rather than .73. Trucks pick up the gears on the low end. but it's really nice down there. Low and Reverse are about the same as low range 1st and R in the old setup with my RTOO. They're 7.something.

So really not much gain in the hills in a 7, 9 or 10sp. When you get to split gears in a 13 or 18 is when you gain some advantage since you can essentially drop half a gear. Honestly not a necessary advantage. I use the splits and such more often in town with low speed limits than for hills. I run the steepest stuff in the NE pretty much any time I go anywhere and rarely need to grab a gear on interstates unless I'm grossing 23-24+. Just let 'er eat.... :spend:

That said, for a non-daily driver, I'd do it again every time. I LOVE towing heavy with it and not having to worry about beating my light duty trans to death if I lug the motor. I don't care around town. but I'll loose a drag race every time and if I commuted much, I might get tired of it.