• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

E brake bracket rusted off

Hi All, The broken E brake... I brought up in my General Topics post viewtopic.php?f=23&t=382 I can see the front cable is moving in & out with the pedal. There's no resistance. I dragged a hunk of cardboard out & took a quick look under the truck. On the drivers side, outside the frame rail the front is connected to the drivers side rear. There's a thin rusted bracket attached to the rear cable but it's adrift. The attachment for the passengers side is there but not attached to anything. A push / pull cable requires the cover to be anchored at both ends. I imagine the rusty bracket was welded to something. The truck is very rusty underneath. Nuts have turned into rust blobs. Anything that requires work is gonna require parts replacement. Russ

• Owner

Hmmm... side like you going to a wrecking yard to dig for part aren't ya??? But I'll give this much... Every weekend when I was my truck I wash the truck... I wash the body, engine and even under the body and frame... But knowing you got issues with your legs and all... I heard of some guys parking there truck on the lawn and sliding a sprinkler under the truck and let it run. It does work it will knock most of the mud off and keep it clean.. But since your down to rust now I would look into getting it undercoated when you can...

I'm normally on road only... no mud. We have tons of road salt in winter but this truck (now) is hardly driven summer or winter. I'm taking it to town to excersise it & warm it up once a week or so. Mostly it's parked outdoors on gravel. New England is very humid. Tools in the barn rust as soon as you put them down.I've thought of getting underneath with the stuff antique restorers use... supposedly converts "rust" to a non-deteriorating solid form. A local restorer uses it on the stripped frames. Leaves them black. I know it'll not replace what's gone but might arrest the deterioration. No, I'm not thinking of stripping CTD to the frame. (Did that on a 79 Chevy C30/454... )

I can't even tell where that bracket belonged, how it was secured. I could probably order new the parts to join the second (passenger's side) cable, but if I find them in a junk yard, I can probably get all the pieces. I expect these are common parts across the truck line. I'd like to have a printable picture of what's supposed to be there.This is not a good time of year to be looking for used parts. I have realitives in the used cores business... not sure if they have an in.Russ