• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Having a little problem. I searched and didn't find an answer. I have internittent hard starts. Hard to isolate a common denominator except when parked at an angle. It always cranks extra before firing then. Other times it just does it, whether it's been sitting for awhile or just a few minutes. This is the problem that doesn't bother me too much. The other problem is there is consistantly fuel in my oil. These problems just began when I installed my new injectors. This was my first install and I took my time and follwed Mike's instructions. No big deal or problems on the install. Since then I have noticed that I have fuel in my oil. I changed my connector tube o-rings and tightened my injector hold downs. It seemed to get better, but has not gone away entirely. I posted on cummins forum and some suggested the diaphram in my VP. I also asked Jacob (whom I consider to be quite trusworthy). He also suggested the diaphram in the VP. I have scanned and got no codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- Patrick.

• Owner

The only sources of fuel in the oil would be from the front seal on the VP44 injection pump or injector problem. Because the connector tube seals against the injector in the tappered hole and the high pressure line seals against the connector tube. So then you got the copper shim and the O-ring seal the rest. So if the pintle needle is not sealing in the injector that mean the injector would fire early and spray on the cylinder wall causing the possible fuel in the oil problem just like Common Rail injectors do when they fail.So I highly suggest you could taking the injectors back out and having them pop teste and be sure there functioning properly. Because continued use will do damage to the cylinders, rings and bearing of the engine. (Just like Common Rail Engines).:2cents:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

you can often tell where the fuel is coming from because that area will be washed clean,You said this started after you installed new injectors, Did you look to see if the injector rings sealed properly.Most of the time however hard starting when it is temperature based and like you said starting issues and fuel in oil is one of 2 things.1. VP-44 front seal,2. Injector O ring, not the crossover tube.I have this same issue in the cold, below 45F). And since it is the summer i have not needed to do much, just keep changing oil.

• Like 2

After an email to Jkidd, i had a long conversation with his injector guy, Jose. He told me the only 2 possible leak spots would be the injector o-ring or around the vp shaft. He said that if the pintle was not operating correctly my truck would smoke like crazy and run like it was running without all cylinders. The truck was running like a monster. I pulled the valve cover and let the truck idle. There was absolutely no fuel coming from around the injectors. The only other part would be the vp. I bit the bullet and ordered a new one. With Michael's instructions off of this site and a great video on youtube from dieseldan, I replaced the pump without any problems. The was alot of evidence of fuel around the pump shaft and the truck runs unbelievable now. Thanks for all the help. This site and cumminsforum are priceless. Guys with a shared passion for diesel trucks are the best!:thumb1::hyper:

Your site really has been a lifesaver. It makes these trucks and their quirks really not seem like such a big deal. I take a lot of pleasure in doing the diagnostics and repairs myself. It's not just being able to brag to my wife about how much money I just saved her either!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Your site really has been a lifesaver. It makes these trucks and their quirks really not seem like such a big deal. I take a lot of pleasure in doing the diagnostics and repairs myself. It's not just being able to brag to my wife about how much money I just saved her either!

OMG, LMAO I get the same conversations all the time with the parents who insist i ditch the 99 and go with the 08.:cookoo:

They took it to dodge that claimed my injectors were the wrong SIZE,a dn that they were not geniune Mopar injectors and as such that was causing the fuel leak, and after that i informed them the fuel leak started BEFORE the injectors went in, that is when the Cummins technican said well then idk what could be letting the fuel in. i went:lol::lmao:

And left and haven't had issues since the weather broke, but i do plan on changing that black(euro made one) VP out for one not so black.