• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Banks Ottomind not working and no gauges...

The below letter was sent to BANKS... anyone have this problem? I bought my 98.5 Cummins and the gauges were not working, I call Larry he said ,we need to re-flash the Ottomind so i sent it next day air to you. Got a call from Joe saying they wanted to test it in your steak bed. It all check out Great and sent back to me...I installed it to find out that I still have no working gauges...I have a red LED then key on green, when I start and I never get the red LED...I called and talked to James and Jim and Joe many times Jim was going the get with James and I never heard back so I called and talked to Joe, We tried changing the gauge wiring harness...That didn't work... So Joe sent me a new thermocouple pyrometer and that didn't work...still no red LED and gauges...I called Joe back he got together with someone else and came to the conclusion that is a hardware problem? How can that be if it worked in you steak truck? Someone PLEASE help!!!! Thanks, Jack:banghead:I checked and re checked all connections grounds, T connectors, MAP sensor :banghead:inspected the wire loom were it goes through the firewall for chafing

i put mine on about 6 years ago and i dont really remember what i had to do to connect them. as i remeber power for gauges comes from the fuse box and there are signal wires coming from the tuner. i would check and see if you have power to them and then see if you have any signal going to them. I would not have a clue as to what values you ought to see from the signal wires though.is the tuner still working as far as added power to the engine? i hope this make sense because electronics is not one of my strong points. i have never had problems with mine to have to work on it.

I will check the wire coming from fuse tap...according to banks the ottomind should show a red LED with key on and then green when i start up witch I get. As you drive and create boost the red LED should start to get brighter and brighter as the turbo winds up...I get no red LED at all. I checked pin 7 and 4 for 5 volts witch I have so I have good connection to MAP sensor...:banghead:

it sounds like no signal is going from the otto to the gauge or the signal is not coming from the map sensor. i know the signal voltage is going to change to brighten that led. is there any way tocheck and see if you are getting a signal to the gauge. i believe you would have to drive the truck to load the engine for boost and see if you are getting a signal while under load. you might check and see if you have any dtc's pretaining to the map sensor. it might be bad. i dont know how that sensor acts when it goes bad. alright guys, i know there are not alot of Banks fans here, but when dripley is giving advice on electronics we might be in trouble. any suggestions.

you could be right. i am not sure. it just sounds like something is not getting the proper signal.a few questionsyou say the truck runs great. does it run as good as before your problems?is it just the gauges that are not working?can you check for dtc's in the computer?

today I took the black plastic connector form the fuel pump lead and soldered it .Took the blue wire to the T-tap connector (orange wire with the black tracer on the pcm) and soldered it as well...So I have eliminated all plastic crimps...I didn't have a deep socket the clean map sensor... as of now I still have no EGT or Boost gauge and no red led that progressively's glows brighter as fuel delivery is increased... what a real pain in my :mad::banghead::banghead::banghead:

no trouble codes at all. I got with James at banks he said to have someone watch from behind to see if i have smoke coming out as I take off up a hill from a dead stop then cut yellow wire going to the pump to see if I get no smoke doing same test...if i get no smoke on either test then the ottomind is not working...if i get smoke then all is good..He thinks that will be the case...and he also thinks the gauge plug that is soldered to the board my be broken and it is not fixable ... I will see this weekend...:banghead:

well some good news , I did get a red LED, and I noticed a difference when disconnecting the yellow wire going the the pump...just no boost and egt gauge! Wonder if I put an ohm meter on the + and - going the gauge if i would get any voltage? Maybe the two gauges are bad? humm:2cents:

• 2 weeks later...

Well heres an update, Banks had me put a ohm meter on leads to the gauges and bingo they pegged out witch means they are not bad!! So off to Bank my ottomind went....After 3 days they call yesterday and said they re-flashed again and installed in there own 98 Ram and everything work great including the gauges...So, since I changed all the wiring harness and thermo couple they can only come up with the ground wire?!??! They said to undo from intake bolt and go direct to the neg side of battery...so we will see:banghead:

they charge 45.00 to re-flash. As of now I have not paid a dime due to all the BS i have gone thru! I have to say for a 9 year old unit and I'm not the original buyer they have really done a good job on trying to get me going!!! the new wiring harness was 145.00 thermo couple was 100.00 gauge harness was 45.00...

• Like 1