• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front tranny Band replacement question?

Figured I would throw this out there. I have had a funny delayed almost slipping type 2-3 shift the past few months and have been giving the 02 a front to rear service and check over and tune up. I pulled the tranny pan and the last couple times it has been loaded with metal and friction material. been that way the last 3 times actually so I have been waiting for the death of it but it keeps hanging in there with 131K of abuse.Back to the story well I adjusted the rear band all was ok there put pan on filled with new amsoil and then went about the PITA front band adjustment which is when I figured out where all the material is coming from. I adjust it every 30K or so when I service the tranny, well the adjusting screw turned in about 4 turns but after adjustment still enough so that lock nut is 1 thread form being flush with end of adjuster stud.Well adjustment spec is to turn it in to 72 inch pounds and back off anywheres from 1 7/8 to 2.5 turns, I usually do 2. So this tells me the front band is about history.My question is can it be swapped without a tear down? I am sure I have read and heard about guys having been able to swap it but figured I would ask if anyone here has done one. I am hoping for a few thousand more miles of abuse out of this virgin trans yet.

Figured I would throw this out there. I have had a funny delayed almost slipping type 2-3 shift the past few months and have been giving the 02 a front to rear service and check over and tune up. I pulled the tranny pan and the last couple times it has been loaded with metal and friction material. been that way the last 3 times actually so I have been waiting for the death of it but it keeps hanging in there with 131K of abuse. Back to the story well I adjusted the rear band all was ok there put pan on filled with new amsoil and then went about the PITA front band adjustment which is when I figured out where all the material is coming from. I adjust it every 30K or so when I service the tranny, well the adjusting screw turned in about 4 turns but after adjustment still enough so that lock nut is 1 thread form being flush with end of adjuster stud. Well adjustment spec is to turn it in to 72 inch pounds and back off anywheres from 1 7/8 to 2.5 turns, I usually do 2. So this tells me the front band is about history. My question is can it be swapped without a tear down? I am sure I have read and heard about guys having been able to swap it but figured I would ask if anyone here has done one. I am hoping for a few thousand more miles of abuse out of this virgin trans yet.

my limited understanding is no - you have to pull out and remove the TC, pump etc :shrug: Try calling Fred Swanson (DTT builder) at desert diesel in phoenix AZ - he seems to know a lot of tricks and tips for the 47/48re :) - you can find him on CF also - just not a quick turnaround that way.
  • Like 1

That seems to be the method put forth on another site as well. I could have sworn I have read of it being done in the rig.

I read someone on CF saying it could be done. But he never said how. Personally I don't see how you would get it around the drum cause of the clearances - give Fred a call - hes a good guy and will just tell you yes or no. Here's a video - but more helpful to others than you. http://www.goerend.com/frontdruminstallation.php