• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

First Gen Heater Core Help

rvaughn801

My heater smells really bad, and I have taken it apart far enough to reach inside to the bottom of the plastic heater box and feel antifreeze. So it needs to come out.The issue I have is how to get to it. There is small panel that comes off easily so I can see part of the core. I can also see a vacuum actuate flap that closes off air flow to the core.At this point, is the best plan of action to remove major pieces of plastic and/or dash to get at this? Or is that needed? I haven't found a step by step removal how-to for the 1st Gen D250. But how-tos for other cars talk about removing a small rectangle of heater core box for access, then riveting a cover over the hole. Has anyone done this?Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for the help. I got a little farther last night, and will get started again once I get some presents wrapped :)

Fortunately I have another car to drive to work tomorrow.

The heater box is still not free, so I may have missed a fastener on the engine side.

Once I can pull the box away from the firewall, can I get the core through the opening under the center of the dash, or does the top of the box need to come up and off?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Again, thank you Michael.

Dumping the freon would not be a big deal, as the A/C hasn't worked in 10 years. It is still and R12 system. I will prod the valve with a screwdriver and see if anything comes out.This truck originally came (in 1989) without A/C, and A/C was added by a dealer in 1992. Does that make a difference? You can see in the pics the sloppy cuts in the dash for A/C vents. It was a Canadian truck, with metric speedometer and no cruise control.This is the 2nd heater core that has gone bad. A shop replaced the first one for me, for $90 labor (I supplied the part). They didn't mention evacuating the freon.The part I bought has a lifetime warranty, so I wanted to do it myself. That, and the face that this core only lasted 5 years, so I felt like I need to know how to do it (if only Cummins made the rest of the truck!)I think I've already asked, but any chance I could cut an access hole and patch with rivets? I would like to get this back on the road. I apologize for trying to take short cuts, but this is a busy time of year. Thanks again for all the help.