• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No Start( I bragged too soon)

I have a 98.5 auto, stock 24v with no start condition last week. Wasn't getting fuel but started after about 20 min. I changed fuel, air and oil filters and primed it. Started fine but no start next time. 50/50 start/no start over the next week. If the lift pump would prime by bumping the starter, the truck would start every time. Did a lot of stuff suggested on here and other places with no luck. Finally pulled no 9 fuse and ASE ? relay and cleaned bayonets Truck has been starting and running perfect the last 4 days. Any ideas?

Just a thought but a few common causes for hard starts are as follows. On the back of the cylinder head there is a return line that returns excess fuel from the injectors. If the o-ring goes bad it will draw air causing a hard start condition. Also there is a check valve that prohibits the flow of fuel back to the tank unless the pressure exceeds 14psi if this valve gets stuck open there will be a hard start condition. Also check the injectors and o-rings. I would suggest testing the volume of the lift pump if it is a factory unit. Certainly do not want to be damaging the injection pump. Inadequate volume could also be the cause of a hard start.

• Owner

Just a thought but a few common causes for hard starts are as follows. On the back of the cylinder head there is a return line that returns excess fuel from the injectors. If the o-ring goes bad it will draw air causing a hard start condition. Also there is a check valve that prohibits the flow of fuel back to the tank unless the pressure exceeds 14psi if this valve gets stuck open there will be a hard start condition. Also check the injectors and o-rings. I would suggest testing the volume of the lift pump if it is a factory unit. Certainly do not want to be damaging the injection pump. Inadequate volume could also be the cause of a hard start.

He's about right on the money... 1. Fuel pressure? http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/lift-pump-diag/lift-pump-diag.htm 2. Air Leaks (Low pressure system including return lines) 3. Overflow valve http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/overflow-valve/overflow-valve.htm

Thanks for the information. Working on the fuel guage. I have a 92 12v with 750,000 on it. Runs like a top but looks like Sanford and sons. Don't know much about these 24v engines. Will try what you suggested. When I crank the 98.5, it will either start imediately(2-3 sec max) or not fire at all(rattles hard and loud, and sounds like a John Deere that has run out of fuel). Come back in 5 min. and it might start. Havn't tried extended cranking of the starter(10 sec.at the most ) One positive: Truck is running much better from all the stuff i have tried. It has more power,shifts better and just feels better.The tack is rock steady. MoPar, it's nice to have people that can be trusted about their information. Sure do appreciate it. Love your area also,it sure is beautyful.

• 3 weeks later...

MoPar, I think you were right about the fuel leak. The Rubber to steel connector was about half off. I think i fixed it this time Check engine light is off. Running good. Fuel pressure gauge on order.I am using 2 stroke and have picked up almost 3 mpg(20.2 mpg). I used cheap corn oil in my 92 For years.Thanks for the help.