• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

tie rod

Anyone know the torque spec for tie rod ends? You can grab a hold of the tie rod with your hand and flop the thing back and forth....not the normal kind of play I'm used to seeing, but I guess I should replace it...def feel it at the steering wheel. Probly go ahead and do the center/drag link also. I hate to get the parts at autozone....but they are open and got it in stock.

i had the same thing, both tie rod ends worn, drag link to tie rod joint worn and pitman arm joint worn. I went with a 1ton upgrade and i wont go back. It is a straight bar from tire to tire (inverted T) instead of the stock way (inverted Y). Was about $450 for all of it and its stout now!If your joints are worn and have slop in the joint (not the tapered rod into the socket) then you need to replace with stock or fo one ton. I can find the info for ya if you want.

sure....any info would be helpful.There is play in all the joints you mentioned. However, the tie rod is what looks strange. I'm used to looking for play in these things ...I work in a semi truck/trailer shop. If you turn the steering wheel the tie rod will flip toward the front of the truck or the rear(depending on which way you turn it) before it will start to turn the front tires. I'm goin to change it...i'm just used to seeing play in the joints with side to side movement in them......this is the whole tie rod flopping to the front or towards the rear.

ill have to search around on a pc at home to find the link i bought my stuff from and all the part numbers. The new parts dont have provisions for the stabilizer though and ive been running without one for over a year. I do plan on mounting one though as they do help.

--- Update to the previous post...

ok found the thread and info plus the site i bought from. seems one part is on special order now.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/thread-new-hub-1-ton-steering-shocks?page=3

MOOG Part #ES2012S (sleeve on the draglink that connects the tie rod end to pitman arm)

MOOG Part #DS1456 (Long end of Tie Rod, attaches to Pass knuckle, has hole for Drag Link)

MOOG Part #DS1459 (Long end of Drag Link, attaches to Tie Rod)

MOOG Part #ES3496 (Short end of Tie Rod, attaches to Driver's knuckle)

MOOG Part #ES3527 (Short end of the Drag Link, attaches to Pitman)

MOOG Part #ES3498S (Tie Rod End Sleeve near driver knuckle)

site i bought it from

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/default.asp

i corrected the number for the tie rod end that attaches to the pitman arm.

hope thie helps!

i would get it all locally frome like advance or something so if something doesnt fit you can readily get the right part. Basically the only thing that is tricky is getting the correct end for the pitman arm. You should be able to use the original if it isnt trashed.

cool ..thanks. probly be a couple weeks before I got the funds. I want to do this right tho....hate hearing about guys replacing these front end parts every 8 months or so....

its mostly the trackbar that gets worn, in 3 years im on my 4th. Since i replaced the inverted y to the inverted t one ton steering in feb last year ive had Zero issues to date with the steering linkage. Now that all of that is nice and tight i have to get the steering gear that was worn before i replaced the linkage and do the 3rd gen trakbar upgrade.

I bought all of these parts from aAdvance a few months ago and got a good deal thru them. They had a sale online at 20% off and i was able to get the local Advance to give me the same. Rock Auto has some really good prices, a little cheaper than Advance even with the 20% discount. There is an advantage to being able to return something locally though. Just another option.