• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dodge 3500 3,7L diesel, idle problem

Hi, I have an Dodge RAM 2500 from 2006 with 5.9 turbo diesel engine, and I am facing a problem, where my engine dosen’t idle. When I am starting my engine it idles correctly, but after few minutes the idle is rough (when motor is warming up). When I step on gas it rews up about 3500rpm and stays there and when I put my car in gear, then it idles correctly. There are no fault codes seen and I have no Idea what to do.Has anybody have that kind of problem or have any idea what might be wrong. I have told from the repairshop, that my ECU might be broken, but I hardly belive them.

• Owner

3.7 L engine is unusual engine size. Could you give a bit more information on the build of engine you have or maybe a picture of it?But the rough idle could be a air problem where the fuel system is draining back and creating a air bubble. As you rev it up its capable of taking the air and pumping it through but idling its just start to stumble.Being I really don't have any specs for a 3.7L I'm going to have to guess at it a bit.

I have mistyped my car data, sorry. I have had that problem about two years. From diagnostics we checked the gas pedal sensor, that was working correctly. How I could check if there is an air bubble in my system?

• Owner

So I can safely assume its a 5.9L Cummins 6 Cylinder (ISB)?If so I would start out with a few basic things like fuel pressure and error codes. Fuel pressure needs be checked at idle and WOT at highway speeds. Both of these things will tell a story about the fuel system and what the problem might be.

Could you, Mopar1973Man, say how the WOT is controlled, I have done the fuel pressure test, and the ECU showed the same data as it was measured from the common rail. Also I have measured the pressure in cylinder from the top of the injectors.

I can't be sure with leaking injectors because when I start up my engine, then there is no smoke coming out and while driving the acceleration is normal.

I have a guess that the FCA might be a problem, but is there any data to check the solenoid?